Eliza has a genuine interest in planting......and I'm trying to give her as many opportunities as possible.
Today's planting was a pot each of lavender and rosemary, from the farmer's market.
We still have the potato tub from last year...... and until it gets new soil and new potato starts, it is our "digging tub" which makes it PERFECT for filling pots and sprinkling seeds. So many of my seeds are old, old, old anyway. I am an accidental seed-saver. ;-)
All my seeds are old, except for my brand new MITSUBA seeds from Patty; which we planted in a pot today...
....along with Coriander, Basil and Japanese Cucumber.
Water Girl.... :-)
5 comments:
How wonderful that Eliza loves to be in the garden with you. I am still waiting to plant my herbs, except my chives and tarragon are almost a foot high now. Technically we can still frost up to Mother's Day. This Spring has been very unusual. So I have taken a risk and planted some seeds. We will see how they will do. My "inside" seeds are doing awesome. It is time to transplant them into bigger "little" pots. My fingers are just itching to get them outside.
You have inspired me to try potatoes this year. We have a great big tub we are going to fill and try just like you did. Were you happy with growing them like that? We have never had potatoes.
She has just the barest, tiniest, most-fledgling interest. So, I'm fanning the flame. :-)
How do you use Tarrgon? It always tasted sweet to me -- and I've never had it except on chicken. Please advise...
Also -- where are your inside seeds at? Do you have this inside greenhouse every year, to max out the planting season?
You need a blog. You know that, right? I'm serious -- (otherwise I would have written: ha ha ha! Notice how it's not there....) You would write such an amazing blog for gardening and creating. You SHOULD write these things down for people like ME. There could even be tutorials! Seriously! You certainly have the studio for it....!!!
My potato experiment was the easiest thing ever: old potatoes from the garage -- already sprouting. You and I have the same book, right? The only problem I had was Junebug (Maikaefer) larvae in the soil, but that just meant I had to harvest a little early and I also need to switch out the dirt for this year. I read about them (in my Landlust magazine, in fact) and they have a three-year cycle -- so they didn't eat anything the first year, but THIS year, they would be waiting and ready for anything I plant. I loved those purples last year....but am going with what I currently have in the garage. Plain Jane some-kind-of-German-potato.
I'm looking forward to hearing about what you choose!
Oh, Tanya you are too kind. If I were to blog the only people that would read it would be you and Greg and he would have to do it out of self preservation! Ha!
I am still not sure what potatoes to do. I was thinking of just using the ones that are growing in the bottom of my pantry...but now I am thinking of all of the possibilities.
As for the tarragon, I use it mostly with chicken with a delightful salad that has grapes or craisins in it. It is my favorite "me" lunch. Anyway, I am trying to expand my horizons and am looking for more ways to use it.
Greg has agreed to let me take over more of the grass in the yard and we will hopefully be getting another large garden bed soon. I think he is finally coming around to the idea that veggies instead of more mowing is a good thing. I will keep you posted on that.
I love that picture of Eliza watering...(Please tell your garderner we just mailed off a surprise for her with March letter to her...)
Oh, and have you tried fresh tarragon clipped up over green salad? I like that. (Well, I like any of my herbs clipped up over green salad...ha...so that cancels out my opinion I think..ha)
Thank you for the tarragon ideas....that's intriguing to me, especially since I've never 'loved' it -- it might be a good plant to set into our experimental garden patch. Eliza will LOVE cutting it over a salad, too.
Padden4 - I want to know more about why I (you/I/we) need a serger. I'll write you an e-mail, because I'm curious about what kind of upgrade in sewing that would give me. By the way, I LOVE that you didn't even know where your auto-cutter button was on your machine...and you make a good point about ageing eyes (me!) and the needle threader...
ALSO -- and this is very important -- I do NOT think it is a silly idea for you to blog about gardening. On the contrary -- you have such plans, such knowledge, such notes & lessons-learned that you work into your garden each year, it would be nice to have a record. So, even if you don't blog, or make "notes" at FB, then I hope you have the very coolest portfolio dedicated as a Garden Journal. With photos!
And, more people than just Greg and I would absolutely would love to read that. :-)
I'm going to keep hassling you about this, just so you know....
Post a Comment