Saturday, April 24, 2010

Carefree Sundress



There was a second optional project for April in the Carefree Clothes for Girls Sew-Along:  White Cotton and Flower Print Sundress.

Usually I shy away from WHITE for Eliza --  she climbs trees, after all.... ;-)


But, this time I thought I would follow the pattern suggestions.... BECAUSE.....I had picked up one of those big, square pillowcases at the thrift shop:    heavy cotton, scalloped trim, brand new.  2 Euros.  


It had a monogram on the front.....what is that?  MT?  MJ?  MI?  


It also had mixed-up buttons on the back of the pillowcase, which I figured would be just right for the buttons at the back of the dress.

I am happy to write that the remaining ingredients for this dress came from little scraps, remnants and toddler dresses I just-couldn't-part-with.  :-)  It made me feel all re-purposey and efficient. 


As it turned out, the back wouldn't quite close across Eliza's back, so I added a flap in blue dotted cotton and some edging from the pillowcase to extend the button loops.  I also put this blue dotted cotton on the hem at the bottom of the skirt (instead of the suggested lace.) 

No hand-stitching on this one.  I finished all seams & sides to make it tidy....


.....but I did leave the monogram on the front of the skirt.




And I said NO when she wanted to climb the tree.  For today, anyway. :-)

3 comments:

NANA said...

When Papa brought print out of this post upstairs he said "Look at this, your mom would have just loved this" How right he was. The photos, the prose, the materials, the buttons, the dress.....and of course, all of it on her little namesake, who climbs trees...ha...she would have just loved it all, that's for sure.

Tanya said...

I know....I think about her so much when I'm sewing. :-) I used yellow thread on the seams of that white dress on purpose, to give it a little more color, like she would have. It was pale yellow....I'm still working on the colorful -- my instinct is always toward neutral. ha ha!

crafterhours said...

I just love it! I literally squealed when I saw that bodice fabric. I guess it is repurposed and I can't go out and buy bolts and bolts of it? Isn't that always the way?
Also, trying to find a way to email you, but I wanted to remark on some similarities between us. I'm guessing you're in Germany, but we're also posted in Europe currently (and our last name has to do with Apples). Anyway, I thought it would be fun to chat about how you deal with crafting overseas/the lack of crafting supplies/if you have any good local resources for crafty supplies.
-Adrianna