Monday, November 10, 2008

Monday: Mountains and Menus



The windows on the north side -- outside our rooms and the shared bathroom. Stairs lead up to the tower on the Chapel side of the house.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Monday, Carolin had to vote. We both agreed to sit in the kitchen (next to that perfect fire) and stay there until she had read through her booklet and cast her ballot. It only took about five hours ;-) -- but that was probably my fault for talking. I had sent my ballot in the last week in October, and I can tell you I did not cover my voter's pamphlet NEARLY as thoroughly as she did; I think she could have probably taken a test on it afterwards. :-)

By three p.m., we were out the door for the Post Office -- and here is one of the lovliest aspects of my friend's personality: as we drove out, she said,

Those mountains are so beautiful today -- let's just drive toward them for five minutes or so....

Why, YES! :-)

We therefore mailed the ballot from a completely different town....and stopped - on impulse - at a former concentration camp (!!) along the way (not as lovely as the mountains, but I'm glad we went there, as well...it was grounding for me to remember that not all the history there had been happy.... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Camp_Gurs )

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Home just in time for DINNER OUT with the group at 7:30.

Now, let me say that my policy for the entire week - when it came to food & menus - had been to just COPY.

Why, I'd like to have what you're having....!!

At the restaurant I naturally followed this policy - so confident, so confident in my success - & boldly copied what two other members of our party chose from the menu. How could I go wrong? I followed the two serious "foodies" at the table -- and there was an amazing STORY that went with the dish, as well. SOLD!

I can assure each of you, that while I found the roasted vegetables divine, I will not be ordering PIGEON again anytime soon.

;-)


[The STORY was about the Basque Hunters -- and was told to me, with great theatrics, by the man who had formerly owned the Chateau -- he also was ordering this Great Speciality of the region -- specifically an Autumn dish -- so, REALLY.....with all those particulars, I couldn't resist. The Stonemason ordered steak.... :-) ]


3 comments:

Robyn Woodson said...

However, if you think about it ... YOU can say that you have tried pigeon and CHOOSE not to eat it again. On that note I'll go back to my boring life with my boring American food ;-)

Tanya said...

ha ha! THAT is a very good point....and I would have regretted not choosing it. Carolin told me they serve it at one of their restaurants, but she said they do it differently: they confit the leg and serve that separately, and slice the breast before plating. It was nearly IMPOSSIBLE for me to cut on MY plate!

However, I disagree with you about you having "boring" food -- you, my dear, have access to Old Towne and the finest food on the planet, I think! :-)

Robyn Woodson said...

okay.... the boring stuff happens all in my home ;-) My kids wouldn't even eat the cranberries in the stuffing last night. Can you imagine their response if I served them pigeon??? You'd be hearing them there.... without the benefit of computer or phones!!
Take care and huggs to you all