Thursday, I arrived in Pau (which is the best airport in the history of TIME...the perfect size for someone like me: nervous and non-French-speaking.) Carolin had just gotten in the day before. What struck me on the drive to her town, was that all these villages really look like this! Not just one "old town" street -- but the whole village looks this way!
We went grocery shopping (my favorite thing...and with her, can you imagine?!) -- then we had lunch at a local restaurant where Carolin is great friends with the owners. It should be said, though, that Carolin is great friends with EVERYONE in these villages surrounding her house .....this often led to more adventure/invitations over the days.....
I met the shepherd, too. :-) We were out for a walk, and Carolin came upon him talking to a neighbor out his window. He invited us in for an aperitif, which turned into several hours at his table. Carolin graciously translated and asked all my questions for me -- about his house, about his former cheesemaking, about the animals; her French got a real warm-up, although she didn't know she would be learning so much about SHEEP. ;-) The wool is too coarse for spinning, he said, and it is sold for insulation. I think that's right...I remember it was something unexpected and unusual. Of course, throughout the evening I'd been served a fair amount of Pastis ....ha ha! (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pastis)
No comments:
Post a Comment