Mommy: Lars! Come here and tell me some things about these pictures we took!
Lars: This is me and my friend R. at school. R. is from Brasil. We use German. R. doesn't know any English and I don't know any of his language.
step, step, step....(Lars walking away....)
Mommy: Lars - come back and tell me something else. Nana is going to read this!
Lars: I hate my regular teacher, but all the other teachers I have are nice. That's all I have to say about that picture.
step, step, step.....
Mommy: What about the one with the leaves? Remember you were telling me about how you made them?
Lars: Mom, when it comes to this blog, I just don't have any words in my head. I made three leaves. It was fun. There.
CONCLUSION: I think he's becoming a MAN.
;-)
PS: His regular teacher seems to be fairly humorless - but she is tough on all of them, so it's equal-opportunity, at least. We'll see how it goes.
5 comments:
I'm sure Lars will be more inclined to post after he sees your title for this latest one:). Very cool that he's found a common language with new international friends!
He actually cried out "Nooooooooo!!!" when I told him I wanted to call it "Larsalicious" -- so I did it after he left the room. That's the cost of being a tough interview.
;-)
He & R. didn't like each other at first -- but now they are fast friends. I believe the bond was made over LEGOS (the international "glue" for boys....) It boggles my mind how much they can communicate with words and hand motions. It's like a miniature AFS in their class -- a tiny version of exchange students from all over the world.
Also - as a postscript - I met his teacher last night. She's much better than the image he'd painted for me....but, I can tell she's very direct. She also said that she's been looking for harder math to give Lars, since he's older than most of the class. That may just be the REAL reason he doesn't like her. ;-) We'll see how it goes.
Ahhh boys! Gotta love 'em :-) You are sooooo right about the LEGO-language. T. & his new best friend (M.) met over a LOVE of Bionicles!!!! The cool part is M. lives across the street, so for most of the summer our cul-de-sac was "Bionicle World".
Get used to it.... the teachers who challenge them the most will be the ones they "HATE". Eventually they'll look back and recognize what that teacher did for them, at least R. (our "I'm so cool because I am a SENIOR) did!
Hugs to you all
Thank you Robyn :-) -- I can't believe she's a senior. How did that happen? Best wishes for an easy time with the college application process...it seems a lot more complicated than when I did it: one form, one essay, one deposit. In an ENVELOPE through the mail. ha ha!
Ahhhh no essays now, unless you are applying for Honors Colleges or something like that. We've (emphasis on the WE or should it be I) have applied to her 3 top picks so far, Arizona State (in Phoenix), Cal State - Monterey Bay & Cal State Long Beach. Everything is done online, including Mom & Dad paying the application fees!!
Post a Comment