Here are my oils and vinegars from the tasting last night -- I love the bottles, and how the clerks write on the front with that white pen.
Apple - because it was one of the vinegars from the blind taste.....and it is just like a syrup.
Calamansi - this was in the Aperitif with mineral water when we started the class. I had never heard of this fruit before....some kind of citrus from the Phillippines.
Grape Seed Oil - I bought this ONLY out of confusion, I admit openly. But, I was looking at it again today through new eyes, and am now happy that I have it -- it's much darker than other grapeseed oils I've seen. I'm intrigued now ;-).....
Pumpkin Seed Oil - because it was just so delicious.
I look forward to the comfort of these oils and vinegars this evening, as I can hear the "storm" between my children brewing as I write this....gotta go!
7 comments:
Oh Tanya, how completely divine! What a wonderful way to spend the evening. How exactly does one use Pumpkin Seed Oil? And the others? They do all sound yummy! American that I am, all I can think of is salad dressings :) !
Sublime!
I said that...sublime!!!
Padden4!!!! You HAVE access to one of these shops!! :-) I like the Pumpkin oil drizzled over the top of pkvines' Cornbread Salad -- but, it is absolutely over-the-top in a dressing. Our recipe at the tasting (Apple Leek Salad) had a yogurt-based dressing and we whisked the pumpkin oil in along with apple vinegar and grapeseed oil. I think it might be nice dripped into a soup, too....you know, the little "pools" of green in a cream soup, or something like that. I wonder if it would be too strong for dipping bread? Maybe I should try that out... ;-)
See how much fun it would have BEEN if I had ONLY had you there???????????
LaBelleJackson: I totally know it's YOU, even if you comment anonymously, since we have such a psychic link, you and I .... :-)
I should put both those recipes up here somehow. Hmmmmm....a new "challenge" to distract me from the ever-present laundry. ha ha ha!
Apfel-Lauch-Salat mit Kürbiskernen, (Apple-Leek Salad with Pumpkin Seeds, from Vom Fass):
1 Leek; 2 Carrots; 1 Apple; 100 g. Pumpkin Seeds; 100 g. Edam Cheese; Apple Vinegar (it was syrupy....)+ Herb Vinegar (I think Rice Vingar would be a good substitute) + Grapeseed Oil + plain yogurt (small) + Pumpkin Seed Oil + salt/pepper
Leeks into rings - blanch and cool; carrots, apple and cheese cut into matchsticks/slices. Toast the seeds in a dry pan. Mix the dressing to your own tastes -- there were no amounts given! :-) Mix everything well.
Cornbread Salad w/ Smoked Chile Vinaigrette (from pkvines):
3 c. 1/2" diced stale cornbread; 1 c. diced red/yellow bell pepper; 1/8-1/4 c. finely diced red onion; 1/8-1/4 c. finely sliced green onion; 2-4 cloves garlic, finely chopped; 1/4 c. rice wine vinegar + 1/4-1/3 c. olive oil + 1 tsp or more pureed chipotle + 1 TB honey + 1/4 c. or more chopped cilantro + salt/pepper.
Toast cornbread squares at 350 about 20 min. Mix in bowl with peppers, onion, garlic. Make Vinaigrette and toss to combine - allow to sit 15 min. room temp. I like to use the Pumpkin Seed Oil over the top of this -- drizzly-style, and some pumpkin seeds tossed on as well. :-)
OMGOSH! You are amazing, as I was reading through the post and your first comment, I found myself thinking I was just going to have to insist you post the Apple-Leek recipe and then I scroll down and you've done it, Wonderful! I think I know what we're having this w/e :) The oil/vinegar tasting sounds incredible, all of it. Thanks for sharing it with us!
I was lucky enough to be the recipient of a meal cooked by Tanya that included a salad with the apple vinegar and pumpkin seed oil...MMMMMMMMMMMM!
Post a Comment