Monday, September 24, 2012

Lavender Harvest

 
I'm very excited about my incoming shipment of lavender from the  Purple Haze Lavender Farm  in Sequim, WA.  :-)  I had to wait until September to place my order, because it all had to be done after the August harvest, and then the farm knows how much they have.  That made me think that maybe I could "harvest" a little lavender from the flower beds over here in my backyard. 

Just for fun.  Just to feel like I was taking part in a yearly garden ritual.  Just to feel a little bit more like the gardener I'm trying to become.

 
Skipper and I spent a sunny morning in early September outside clipping stalks. 

 
Because of course, he wanted to help.  :-)

  
 
 
 
 
 
 
After awhile, it became apparent that he would best be able to help me by sunning himself on the patio....


.....while I tied the stalks into bundles:

 
It all felt very "country lady" and I loved every minute of this peaceful break between the weeks of social chaos.

I wish you could hear the sound of the wind in these trees:

 
It's like music.  Look at that blue sky.....just like in Washington State, it's not always there, so I appreciate it more :-) when it is. 

 
Then I hung the lavender stalks out under the eaves (with some laundry, actually....)


 
When it came time to pull the dry lavender off the stalks, we went with the same plan......


 
......since we were experienced lavender harvesters by this point :-). 

 
I'm watching my mailbox every day, though, for the incoming box  from the REAL lavender farm in Sequim.  Mmmmm....I can't wait. 





1 comment:

NANA said...

How'd I miss seeing this? (I guess I figured the "new one" was the ONLY new one...ha) Your puppy really is cute...(and you're funny). Your lavender seems keen! NICE bush they have there for you! Glad you love it (Inspires me to go out and whack mine back into good health..I may have neglected it into poor health by not cutting it back for so long)