heather and place cards waiting...
We've had our first in-home event; (well, at this point, we've actually had TWO of them....but the first dinner party was the big one, the intimidating one....) This is the reason it's been well over two weeks since I've even LOOKED in here at the blog.
The dinner parties, and of course this other reason:
so small, so powerful....
But, back to dinner --
Hostess gifts: scarf, silk scroll in fabric pouch and four tins of tea.
In the living room, toward the nook (which is coming along)
train table & dollhouse moved there temporarily.
....bringing us all indoors. But, that was quickly solved by pulling in tables from the patio and just making do.
Appetizers on the narrow table behind the love seat;
Eliza as a splash of bright color in the landscape of neutrals.
Patio table in front of the bookshelves; second patio table along wall for buffet
in what is normally the "children's corner" with train table and dollhouse.....
Dessert: lemon cream, cinnamon cookie and brownie, plated by IAN (!!) and my friend while we ate dinner. It's the only photo I have of the food. They used whipped cream, raspberries and rose geranium blossoms on the brownies. I think they did a beautiful job on these!
I *remembered* my camera the next day.
morning after...remnants of wine, coffee, tea and cognac
But, I have photos walking the road toward dinner:
The flurry of citrus and oregano - becoming lemonade and marinade.
My stove and I are becoming friends....I know the pepsi seems odd.
Look at this:
Pepsi is a secret ingredient!
From Chevy's Rio Bravo - Fresh Mex cookbook.
We ate these carnitas in large chunks and with a knife and fork.
It wasn't really an "eat with your hands" occasion. ;-)
Cornbread and mini bell peppers became Cornbread Salad with Chipotle Dressing.
In addition, we had Ancho Roasted Potatoes, Citrus Cabbage Slaw,
Cheddar Potato Empanadas and a platter of red grapes.
The ever-present 7 Layer Dip, under construction. We can hardly have a party without it. ;-)
This was on the appetizer table, along with black bean & corn salsa and a bowl of tortilla chips.
Red Pepper & Jalapeno Jelly...also from the Chevy's cookbook. We had this as an accompaniment to the pork, and I sent each family home with a jar at the end of the evening. I see now I've made a spelling mistake on the tag...but, at the time, it felt right. It is what it is. :-)
Wine. You know, on this I just let the man a local wine shop advise me. I told him my menu and he led me to a woodsy red, with a slight hint of berry sweet to match the sweet notes of the carnitas' marinade and sauce. This wine shop has been good to Americans over the last several years -- and the wine was really lovely....plus, it was on a special price that week. I'm loyal. :-)
Handmade carafe tags from my sweet friends the Paddens....these worked out SO WELL!!
THANK YOU for sharing these with me!!! Each table had a water bottle, and the other tags made the drinks station on the credenza self-service (which was 1.5 gallons of lemonade, a bucket of ice and one pitcher of mojitos....the lemonade was the big seller of the night ;-) so it's a good thing there was not only a large amount, but also a clear label. No photo, I'm sorry to say. It was really pretty.)
I have an example. The following week my kitchen faucet broke completely, spraying water everywhere. The dryer also broke, completely. Plus, Eliza's class had an outbreak of lice over multiple children. Kitchen sink story with photos to follow -- lice story? probably not. (Although, I can now say after a week of combing, searching, treating, oiling and more combing, Eliza appears to have been one of the lucky ones in the class. She's going to wear braids for the next month, though.)
Can you even imagine how incredibly grateful I am that these all happened *this* week, and not last?!? So grateful.
I guess I'm also pretty thankful that it's all begun, and the first two dinners are done. Here comes September, though -- a whole new month with a whole new quota. But, making a start is always the most important part -- the journey of 1,000 miles beginning with a single step.
Or, something like that. ;-)
8 comments:
You won't believe this.. but our computer wouldn't pull up any food photos except the dessert photos anyway!?! And not all of the others. I've waited for 20 minutes and finally decided it just wasn't going to happen. I'm so glad it all went well though..(with God's great help...and..in spite of the stunning amount of roadblocks thrown into the mix...gee whiz...ha! God bless your good heart..and inventive mind...and "bounce".. :)
Mom -- I changed all the photos back to a normal size, so maybe you can see them, now. I had made them large so you could see more details...ironic that it might have been the reason you couldn't see anything. ;-)
Anyway -- I'm so glad it all went well, and that the roadblocks have mostly come in the following week! There's something to be happy about there!
Your house looks beautiful! The meal looks and sounds fabulous! I am so happy to be a small part of it...believe it or not, I have yet to use any of my tags. Tanya, I am so impressed by you and your energy and how you pull everything off so utterly well. I know I say it all the time, but you truly are AMAZING. I am so happy it all went well for you. Please let me know if you think of anything you would like to have.
Bingo!! That must have been it!! Lovely clear photo's this time!!! Thanks so much for adjusting for me (you know I love to see it all) Also, you really blessed me by spelling something incorrectly!..ha..you never seem to ever do that..even swapping between languages the way you do...it's gotten more and more intimidating...ha...though I hadn't really realized it until now. God bless you dear...you're a dandy...(I hope you're finding some time for "you")
Way to go! I can only imagine the stress and work. Great job. How long before the next one?
Tanya, you are amazing - and truly the hostess with the mostess! Everything looks beautiful and delicious. Send our best to your crew!
Your house looks beautiful! Love the table set up. Hope you had a great dinner party!
Hey! I haven't seen even half of these sweet comments!! Probably because we've had *five* more events since this first party. It's fun, but I find that I have exactly enough time to prepare, clean up and collapse. I'd had such plans in my head for posts about each menu, etc.
ha ha! Maybe I'll learn how to manage that someday.
You guys are nice :).
AND PADDEN4 -- I love, love, love those tags and have used them at nearly every dinner since the first one. I'm going to try another set with stamps and staz-on, (since I will never like my printing) You were so generous, I have a couple to use therefore in experimenting. :-)
Hey! I liked that heather soooo much, I've used the pots (and purchased new ones) at four of the five follow-on dinners. I love "lyng" -- it's so pink and autumn-ey at the same time.
Post a Comment