Island Castle Annex, extending from the Horse Farm..... :-)
Eliza has trouble with math. I'm not sure why -- we've been doing extra practice now for almost a year. In her defense, the average math worksheet for Second Grade is a lot more challenging than what I remember from the Second Grade. Take a look at this:
I can see what they are trying to do -- teach the children to add and subtract in their heads -- and it makes sense to ME at my age, but Eliza is much more interested in making the answer blank into a "T" or drawing smiley faces inside the 9's and 6's, than what is happening to the tens and ones.
Still.....there is a nation full of German children who ARE able to do this kind of math. In their heads. At age 7. And, I have to admit that Lars took to this style of arithmetic like a fish to water.....math is better than recess, in his mind.
Speaking of Lars....it's a shame I didn't get a snapshot of his grades before I had to hand them back into the school with my signature. It was a happy report card all around -- but the "best" part was that my child got the equivalent of a B+ in English. In ENGLISH!!!
His math grade was significantly higher..... ;-)
Unbelievable.
5 comments:
That does seem rather stiff for 7 years old, doesn't it? My schooling before things began getting watered down in our school system (when USA still led, rather than being ranked way dowm in the double digits when compared to other nations schools)...and gee whiz...I don't recall having math like that, that early, either...but I'm confident she'll master it whatever she needs to. (Even in a second language) And it isn't it totally fascinating Lars got the B+ in English? How the heck did a serious, responsible, well-spoken, excellent student like Lars... get less than an A......
...in his native tongue?..Ha! (Oh my goodness..can't always make sense of that "grading thingey" can we? Oh well..) (Hopefully, he wasn't discouraged by it)
It was spelling that tanked Lars' English grade. But, I find it ironic that there were children in his class that scored HIGHER than he did. As if....
He got the nod for Gymnasium, as well. Which shocked me -- but we are both happy for him and grateful. The teacher said she thinks he would be bored in less than Gymnasium....she said he is likely bored right now.
I thought: CLEARLY, he has some room for improvement in ENGLISH. :-) ha ha ha!
As for the math, the Germans admit that they push their kids in math...and at least 3/4 of her class can breeze through it. Amazing.
Dear Heaven, I made such mistakes in my previous comment I should add a P.S......
P.S. May this teach me to stop being critical... HA! (Please God, pound that lesson into me...)
Wow, you're still up (to have responded so rapidly) It's late, go to bed my dear..Ha! (Thanks for the response...that is so interesting to me...good to know about the gym class...I can hardly believe all Lars and Eliza deal with to be in such different world and still be such good students, God bless them.) (And God bless you all, of course)
I should write you more separately - but Gymnasium is the high school for college-prep; as opposed to the vocational high schools and the business high schools.
The teacher told me at our conference that the Gymnasium referral comes down to logic and the ability to think logically.
It's interesting to observe while living here -- but this system would NEVER fly in the U.S. God Bless America. :-)
Post a Comment