On impulse, I bought some of these handwarmers to have around just in case. Because I am so completely a "just in case" type of mother.....
There is a little metal chip inside a mystery liquid, and bending the chip slightly causes a chemical reaction, turning the liquid to a solid gel that HEATS UP as it solidifies. Curiously, the way to re-activate these pouches is by placing them in boiling water for ten minutes and they return to liquid.
What I don't understand is how the heat from the first chemical reaction doesn't cause the melting...from....the second chemical...reaction....? What..?
ha ha ha! It's like a Science Illusion.
I even had Lars ask at his school. He went to the super-science-robot-programming-technology teacher, who told Lars that he wasn't sure, but he knew it was .....a chemical reaction.
That made me feel better.
Anyway, Eliza is crazy about these handwarmers, and if she finds them sitting on the windowsill (after being boiled and re-set) it's all she can do to resist the temptation to crack that little metal disk and set them off again. So, I hide them. Because they come in REALLY useful after riding lessons. Especially when it's so cold that icicles form on the horse's whiskers......
The last time she was at riding I went to put one in her coat in case her hands got cold early. Feeling around inside her pocket, I came across this:
Mommy: What is this inside your pocket?
Eliza: It's a noodle.
Eliza: It's a noodle.
Mommy: Why do you have that?
Eliza: I found it.
Mommy: Where?
Eliza: At the commissary. When I was shopping with Dad I found it on the floor and he said I could keep it.
Mommy: ......................just......just.....give me the noodle, and take your handwarmer, please. And don't pick up things off the grocery store floor.
I hurtle from one confusion to another. Daily.
:-)
3 comments:
I've found rocks, leaves, and twigs in the pockets of the boys BUT NEVER a noodle! hahaha
I love the hand warmers. And I thought the Japanese were the master's of gadgets. ;-)
I know! I had the total Japan Flashback when I saw these.
Aren't you in Thailand right now? Notice how I read your FB page, but didn't comment... I am so terribly, completely AWFUL at FB. I only look at the pages that come up on that little rotating friend box....and even then, I feel guilty if I comment on one friend and not all 81 others. So, I do nothing.
Enough FB Angst...I'm going over to your blog and will hassle you there. ;-)
My goodness, Eliza's eyelashes are so dark and long aren't they? (Your's were very long and thick at that age..but not so dark, of course, being blue eyed and blond yours were more dark brown. It's always such a blessing for a girl, no doubt about it, huh? (And I love that smile...she's clearly still very easily tickled by life...good for her...and God bless you all, richly)
Post a Comment