Friday, February 12, 2010

Frau Badetelenerstonemanenelztener

My English Club this week was the last one before the Winter Break (we get a week off here....hooray!) and I thought it would be good timing for switching our theme and verse.  Plus, I wanted to take advantage of Valentine's Day (as well as the candy imported from the US...)  So, I sent them home with chocolate, new vocabulary and switched out from Fruit of the Spirit to John 3:16. 

This new theme allows me to use globes, maps, gigantic-continent-floor-puzzle pieces and ....and.....opens the door, with world-vocabulary,  to all the science-y experiments I love so much.  :-)  Mmmm....it will be so much fun. 


I got really excited when I found a map I'd used with Sunday School, and how it had these sticker bubbles with words from a verse going around each continent.  Perfect!  Then, I thought how much fun it would be to put a post-it note over each bubble, letting the kids pull one off each time they came up to the map to find...to find.... where they were born!  Or.... where they go on vacation!  Perfect!! 


They did like it.  They were VERY enthusiastic.  But, the part that I didn't really see playing out in my mind, was what they would do with the sticky notes after each turn.  In my head, I imagined a neat stack of orange post-it notes on one corner of the map....all neatly attached, one over the other.  Very tidy. 

What in fact HAPPENED was a speeding train full of children WRITING small letters (apparently to me) on the notes and then....sticking those notes.....onto my clothing while I was helping Child #9 find France. 


My favorite one is absolutely Frau Badetelenerstonemanenelztener.  Although, that one in the middle is a letter to me, from one girl's DOLL

These kids are better than a Fountain of Youth. 

:-)

4 comments:

NANA said...

I'm so warmed by your fun with these kids...(is Badetelenerstonemanenelztener any sort of real word...or peices of
any sort of real words?) HA!
Pretty cute, no doubt about it.

Tanya said...

TOTALLY made-up word. From Carolin..... :-) which makes it extra special for me. I forgot to tell you that the horse arrived, by the way. THANK YOU !!! Those two are going to have the most wonderful sleepover. I let Eliza get into the box early, after she did three pages of math. As a reward. :-)

NANA said...

Glad it arrived...you know I'm always pleased to help make the world of autism alittle softer for any little soul...I'm so proud of Eliza's compassion and kindness to "different" folks...by actually seeming to not notice that they are so very different. God bless you all and the day 'Eliza's horse has a baby'...for Carolin to be delighted by.

Tanya said...

We got lucky today and taped a show on TV about the largest Horse Breeder in Germany...with several scenes of foals being born, taking the first steps, etc., etc.

Thanks, Mom, for that little horse. It is going to be great...I really think the girls are going to have a lot of fun. I'm assembling some "pet vet" materials for them to use to check out the new foal. Including a stethoscope from Nana. :-)