I made wreaths again this morning for the Christmas Market stand sponsored by our Church. This is one of the nicest experiences of the whole year, I am coming to realize. These women are in the age group that still uses the word "Brassiere" and they laugh accordingly over anything slightly "racy" -- ha ha ha! All work comes to a screeching halt in order to discuss the proper way to avoid the flu (two apples a day) or how to cut out a particularly sticky Christmas Cookie, (dip the cutter in water before each cut.)
It was PERFECT.....and I was fed a great deal of coffee and pastry on top of it. :-) I'm already looking forward to next year.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
I haven't written much about Church for awhile -- it seems like we've had a long series of Sundays where it's either full of chaos, or I don't quite follow the message, or we miss out completely with coughing and sniffling at home.
Yesterday's reading was Ephesians 4:4-16 about the different "gifts" each one of us has. I liked it a lot -- I like everything this Pastor says. He turned part of the sermon into a story to illustrate what happens in congregations when people with different gifts & strengths have to agree on something. His example was done to be funny -- but he underscored in a serious way how important it is to not lose sight of the bigger picture in differences and bickering -- and that each person is important to the structure of the body.
I thought it was well-timed for our family. Lars has felt less happy in his Sunday School class recently - and the woman running the Children's Ministry is openly frustrated with me. Some of it, I probably deserve (I'm not so great at the timely RSVPs, etc.) but most of our differences come from our polar-opposite personalities.
She and I had just been expressing opposing points of view (ha ha!) on Saturday, in fact, about whether children should be allowed to be a little mean to each other as a natural part of childhood, or whether it was possible to teach-model-encourage compassion & kindness to children.
It's probably not difficult to guess which side of this debate I was on. ;-)
I think a lot, actually, about the archaic notion "kids will be kids" acting as a magical "Get Out Of Jail Free Card" for cruel behavior. The biggest surprise about my candid discussion with this woman was how confident I was. I am NEVER confident in German....I am always stumbling around over the articles:
was that 'der' ? maybe 'das' ? I'll use a preposition to turn it all dative, so I can HIDE the fact I don't know.....
That's an accurate snapshot of how my inner dialogue goes while speaking German. :-) But, these sentences rolled out easily and I was kind as I said them. In fact, I feel fairly confident that I said my piece with love. I hope so, anyway.
Neither of us is 100% right, nor 100% wrong. But, the sermon on Sunday was good for my family. [Okay -- OF COURSE ;-) I loved hearing from the pulpit that different opinions are vital for a healthy congregation -- I couldn't have scripted that better -- but more importantly, the Pastor gave me GREAT tools in that sermon for massaging this whole topic with Lars when it comes to patience, compassion and even forgiveness. ] They are heavy topics for an 11-year-old, but I felt like he was able to see at least a glimpse of a bigger picture. And it made him feel better, which was the most important thing. That....and he stays in the Sanctuary with us these days.....sometimes, the easiest way of all to get along.
:-)
No comments:
Post a Comment