Sunday, November 22, 2009

Madagascar


Alistair went to a conference last week out of town. He brought back TREASURE: a woman at the conference flew in from Madagascar and had brought vanilla beans with her (!!!) for everyone to take home.


Alistair: Here are some vanilla beans from the woman living in Madagascar.

Tanya: What?! Oh my gosh! You've got them here in this ziplock bag as though they're used soap...these are like gold, Alistair!

Alistair: Yeah, and you can smell them through the bag, too. Let me see if I can remember what she said to do with them......um....that was 2 cups vodka, a couple of tablespoons bourbon, you split the beans and let them sit for two months and it makes vanilla, I guess.

Tanya: How many beans do I add?

Alistair: ........uhhh....not sure. But, I can buy the vodka and bourbon for you tomorrow!


:-) I'm going to add all four. I put my THINKING CAP on you see, and I figured that this incredibly fabulous woman out of Madagascar must have already done the math for us, since everyone got the same amount with her recipe. After all, two cups of vodka...that's a lot.



It looks like Three Continent Vanilla -- and I think it should go head-to-head with the Cointreau-Scented Vanilla from October. Like a Vanilla Olympics. ;-)



3 comments:

Padden4 said...

Love it! I will be anxiously awaiting the taste test comparison. What a wonderful gift!

Unknown said...

I know!! Don't you just LOVE this woman in Madagascar for thinking of it? I mean, HONESTLY....if I were her...??....I would have been focused on cramming my suitcases as full as possible of things to take BACK. It wouldn't have even dawned on me to bring "vanilla for all my friends" on the trip in. A. told me that she & her kids had to leave the country for four months when they had a COUP not long ago. Then....she returned. ;-) And you and I thought '92 Yokosuka was rustic....

Hey! What do you think I could send her? I really want to do something nice for her in return. Any ideas? You are the Idea Queen, after all....

Tanya

Padden4 said...

You are so sweet - actually YOU are the idea Queen. I will have to think on that one. Hope you guys have a wonderful Thanksgiving. I suppose it is just another Thursday in Germany. Well, Happy Thursday! I am soooooo thankful for you. Love to you all.

P.S. I have been knitting, knitting, knitting. You would be so proud of me. I did end up returning the metal circular needle set and bought a KA bamboo set. LOVE IT. Now I regret not learning how to knit when we were in Japan. :)