Sunday, November 15, 2009

Alistair: On Being Thrifty



I would like to think that all the biking I do to and from work actually saves me money. Although I save 30 miles of driving and wear and tear on the car each day, I am sure I spend much more on biking equipment than I save on car costs.

Case and point: my new “BOB” bike trailer.

It will take me 60 round trips to work to pay it off, but it is already worth it. Ian and I used it to ride to the commissary today to pick up groceries (45 minutes each way). It handles great and all you feel is a little extra weight on the hills (in fact I feel it less than Eliza on the trailer bike when she is not pedaling!) The BOB trailer can carry up to 70 pounds of gear, and in addition to using it around town, my plan is to use it this spring on a “bike packing” trip with Ian.



A neat feature it has are water bottle holders on the back of the frame. I needed a spot to store a spare tube (since it uses a small 16 inch wheel), so I used a small plastic peanut butter jar to stash the spare gear for the trailer. I figure that should get me some points with environmentalists.



Reduce, reuse, recycle -- :-) or just cycle and ride lots.

3 comments:

Tanya said...

I think it's nice that the yellow MATCHES the frame.... ;-)

Mobileholmes said...

me too Tanya:*)

Ian said...

or just the jersey worn while pulling it