Friday, November 20, 2009

Knitting Lesson


The knitting book Alterknits by Leigh Radford has the most wonderful and unusual patterns. My favorite was always this scarf shown above.....a long tube of knitted mohair/silk with a coordinating fabric silk scarf running through the middle of the tube. Perfect. I had such visions of this for myself -- it would be unique, amazing, wonderful.

But, after this over-the-top scarf sat on my needles for TWO YEARS ;-) I finally just cast off in a moment of efficiency (mohair is tricky to unravel....) Those needles had been tied up for too long. I figured I could cut my losses and use it as a neck cowl, or something. Something similar. Little did I know who would be enthusiastically wearing it:

At first she said she loved it because it made her look like a Princess from the Star Wars Prequels. She also turned it inside-out; but I think it looks better that way, actually. She wore it like this all day in school (!) yesterday, and even under her helmet at riding.



Eliza also said it was useful for playing "Ninja" -- ;-) -- I'm just happy she's wearing something I've knit. There are a couple of handknits from me in her closet right now that she insists are the scratchiest things ever knit by any human being in the history of time.....




But, the green circle is apparently a new category. This morning before school (early-sleepy-eyes) she thought her new scarf/cowl would make a nice shrug/shawl/poncho.....what do I even call this?

I realized for my part, however, that the very best Knitting Accessory a person can ever have is someone living in the house who is SMALLER.



At least for a knitter like me, who has to occasionally "cut her losses" on these projects. Eliza gave me a wonderful outcome to a project that would have otherwise been in the "losses" category. I'm almost tempted to say that it's unique, amazing and wonderful, even. :-) :-)

And my 5 mm needles are available now, on top of it!


2 comments:

Mobileholmes said...

Great job Eliza! So, whatcha gonna make with those now available needles?

Unknown said...

I should probably look into finishing the extensions on Ava's sweater ;-)...(incidentally, that sweater pattern came out of Alterknits, as well. )

Any interest there, Mobileholmes, in picking up the needles? The Japanese have unbelievable variety in "yarns" -- even some made from paper or stainless steel! This just feels like something you'd be into...don't you think?