I ran out of vanilla.
I used to be very loyal to Penzey's vanilla. But, after running low one time, I added a little vodka to the jar ;-) & realized that I could just "top off" my own vanilla at home.
Last week, I used the last spoonful of vanilla for Lars' birthday cake. Between the vodka-soaked beans and the chilly kitchen, I figured I had a few days of amnesty on the refilling; but by yesterday I needed to get moving on a solution.
I know - I know. I could just BUY more vanilla. But, now that I have this fine collection of bean bits, (plus one last bean in the pantry), I am reluctant to throw them away - they've been with me for so long....!
It seemed easy enough to just get some mini bottles of vodka at the little grocery store here in my neighborhood. The bigger bottles of vodka were all sold out. I must have wandered into the liquor aisle between re stockings. There was only one choice left to me for mini bottles: Matjes Schluck.
Because I am such an amazing linguist ;-) I could read the label advising me that Matjes Schluck is meant to accompany HERRING, and the German words translate directly as "Herbs Clear." Drawing therefore, on my knowledge of the beautiful, windswept north, I assumed that it was pretty close to straight vodka -- something similar to Korn -- and would be an excellent substitute.
NO. Beware the "Direct Translation" is Lesson #1 for Exchange Students....
I got off very lucky this time -- while I now know that Matjes Schluck is apparently HERBED but CLEAR -- the subtle scent & taste are on the sweeter side, and remind me of Cointreau. Which makes me actually VERY excited about my new inter-cultural vanilla. I am thinking this slight orange-y edge should be really interesting.
See how the liquid started turning right away! I realize it looks like lake water with old sticks at the bottom; but that is after only one day -- I'm so eager to see where this goes, taste-wise!
There's no chance of becoming arrogant while speaking a foreign language, with the daily opportunities for verbal mistakes. :-) But I'm loving that this time the mistake was funny, and worked out in a quirky experiment which will make me smile every time I see the bottle. I can't wait to use my New Vanilla....such great timing with November and December right at my doorstep!!
I wonder how long it will take....? I've never actually "run dry" on the vanilla before.
No comments:
Post a Comment