Friday, October 23, 2009

Birthday Cupcakes

Lars turns 11 tomorrow.

He started planning for this weekend about four months ago, with two different versions of invitations. As it turns out, several key players in the greater party plan have other committments here and there, so that meant splitting up his one party into three smaller ones. It's sort of a JUBILEE at this point. ;-) But, I don't think he minds.

One friend came today after school. His sister came as well....quite honestly, it was connected to parents' work schedules and after-school programs, and it was just easier all around to include her. We were all happy to welcome her with open arms....especially Miss Elizabeth Borchert.

Lars generously told me the frosting for our "decorate your own cupcake" activity ;-) could be a color the girls would enjoy....meaning, he was open-minded about PINK. I thought that was really sweet of him. I set out the sugary sprinkles I brought back from London - and of course, everything went beautifully together with pink.



Another thing I brought home from London was a book on Cupcakes from the Primrose Bakery. It is irresistable. There is actually a page on how to appropriately frost a cupcake.....I think the bird cartoons somehow draw me in enough to take it seriously. I am CRAZY about these instructions. They tell me I need to practice.

:-)


Either way, the kids were happy to frost and re-frost ....sprinkle and re-sprinkle.....eat and eat another. Lars was also very open-minded about letting the girls take the lead on frosting / decorating. He spent a joyful afternoon with his friend upstairs building the one gift he had opened. The incredibly amazing, direct bullseye from Nana, Papa and Uncle Eric:




Right. So much for the BOOK I got him..... well, I can't compete with grandparents; even if I do have the frosting. ;-)

4 comments:

Patty said...

The cupcakes look yummy! Happy Birthday, Lars! Eleven? How can that be? I still remember him in his rain boots splashing around in Shonan Takatori, I don't think he was even three. I hope the Birthday parties (all three of them) are the best ever!

Mobileholmes said...

Cupcakes....mmmmmmmm! And no other present could've competed with Lego Star Wars:*)

NANA said...

Love that picture. I have one so much like it of him as a toddler here, pouring from his little teapot...exact same look,but just with the baby blond hair. Not much longer until the man begins to crowd that little boy look out. And obviously, we'll love that "growing up" look too...but, still,I sure do love that picture (alot). (We're all so glad you were born, Lars..and good for you to let the girls have the pink...God bless your good heart)

Tanya said...

You're not helping me with these rain boot and teapot memories, you know...

:-(

I think I need some leftover cake from the freezer.