For our special Mothers' Weekend Away, we used Jane Brocket's book like another person might use Fodors, or Rick Steves. ;-)
I'll admit that it was expensive....which limited me to tiny amounts. And those tiny amounts were of only a very few selected items. But, Jane Brocket ;-) writes encouragingly in her book that it's important to indulge occasionally in small luxuries. Very small. Very wonderful.

We took a tour of the replica of Shakespeare's Globe Theater. I was unprepared for this -- the primary theme of the tour was HOW MUCH scholars had learned about Shakespeare's plays & his writing after archaeologists had excavated the original site of the Globe Theater. The shape/form/function of the building shed new light on twists in the wording or dialogue -- such as involving the human audience present at the foot of the stage. I could have listened to our guide for hours, it was so over-the-top.

It would be easy to assume that the stop at VV Rouleaux had taken all my surprise and awe -- but no -- there was still a swoon left in me ;-) reserved apparently for The Cloth House at No. 17 Berwick Street. That delectable bouquet pictured above is cotton organdy, and The Cloth House had every color in the rainbow available. There were vintage silk trims from Indian Saris; vintage lace, buttons, thread & snaps; 20 bolts of different kinds of "shirting" or 20 bolts of different kinds of .....different.

All of it lovely, simple and different....& bundled up with twine or twill ribbon.

This is vintage woven hemp from Hungary, originally used to make sacks: feed sacks, household sacks, any kind of sack. Too much for me to pass up - I bought one meter - intending to copy the Hungarians and make any kind of sack for my household. Or, maybe I'll just look at it for awhile. :-)

Over a door at Kensington Palace. To say that there is a lot of history at Kensington Palace would be a gross understatement. It was actually overwhelming how much history was there....but, even overwhelmed, we wandered through the rooms with hand-held "tour phones" that explained each item on display. We wandered, we sat, we made our way with a leisurely pace.

As fast as I ran upstairs after coming home last night to see each of my three sleeping children, and as happy as I am to be home with them again.....I have to admit openly that neither they, nor their very generous father, would ever, EVER have been on board with going exclusively to all my sights and destinations this last weekend. No - for that, I needed another MOTHER as travelling companion ....especially when it came to old thread, little-known books, slices of obscure architecture or even just squirreling around with the camera in front of a doormat ;-). My family might have let me have some amnesty with those things, but ....well, let's just say: Here's to Other Mothers as Travelling Companions & Weekends Away -- with just the right amount of everything.
We took a tour of the replica of Shakespeare's Globe Theater. I was unprepared for this -- the primary theme of the tour was HOW MUCH scholars had learned about Shakespeare's plays & his writing after archaeologists had excavated the original site of the Globe Theater. The shape/form/function of the building shed new light on twists in the wording or dialogue -- such as involving the human audience present at the foot of the stage. I could have listened to our guide for hours, it was so over-the-top.
It would be easy to assume that the stop at VV Rouleaux had taken all my surprise and awe -- but no -- there was still a swoon left in me ;-) reserved apparently for The Cloth House at No. 17 Berwick Street. That delectable bouquet pictured above is cotton organdy, and The Cloth House had every color in the rainbow available. There were vintage silk trims from Indian Saris; vintage lace, buttons, thread & snaps; 20 bolts of different kinds of "shirting" or 20 bolts of different kinds of .....different.
All of it lovely, simple and different....& bundled up with twine or twill ribbon.
This is vintage woven hemp from Hungary, originally used to make sacks: feed sacks, household sacks, any kind of sack. Too much for me to pass up - I bought one meter - intending to copy the Hungarians and make any kind of sack for my household. Or, maybe I'll just look at it for awhile. :-)
Over a door at Kensington Palace. To say that there is a lot of history at Kensington Palace would be a gross understatement. It was actually overwhelming how much history was there....but, even overwhelmed, we wandered through the rooms with hand-held "tour phones" that explained each item on display. We wandered, we sat, we made our way with a leisurely pace.
As fast as I ran upstairs after coming home last night to see each of my three sleeping children, and as happy as I am to be home with them again.....I have to admit openly that neither they, nor their very generous father, would ever, EVER have been on board with going exclusively to all my sights and destinations this last weekend. No - for that, I needed another MOTHER as travelling companion ....especially when it came to old thread, little-known books, slices of obscure architecture or even just squirreling around with the camera in front of a doormat ;-). My family might have let me have some amnesty with those things, but ....well, let's just say: Here's to Other Mothers as Travelling Companions & Weekends Away -- with just the right amount of everything.
5 comments:
Shakespeare's Globe Theater! (I've never even seen photo's of that before..wow) And Kensington Palace...at your own tour pace...and Hungarian feed sacks...how perfectly wonderful! (I want that feed sack material HA!) (And like you, I'm not sure why) (Please, please...DO NOT let me have it..ha!)
I KNEW you would like that, Mom. I was planning to cut some to send you anyway. The man at the shop told me that in the 1930's people used that rough hemp fabric as for towels and washcloths (!!) but he said that it is supposed to be pretty nice for the skin, since it 'exfoliates' :-)
By the way, it was an American who spearheaded the Globe Restoration/Replica project, and he mortgaged his house to get funding. The Shakespeare people are very proud of that....it was nice. :-)
I'm so happy for you, and the photos and descriptions are edible...really!
Oh...how wonderful! I am so glad that you got experience all those things. Simply delectable! Bravo for you, Tanya. I could almost feel the fabric and I think I did swoon just looking at the picture of the ribbons. I want to know what happens to all of the little bits and pieces you acquire! :-)
Oh, Padden4...I thought of you SEVERAL times. But, you and I in those shops is a fantasy -- because in Real Life, our spouses would be huddled on the street outside, sending in children at timed intervals to disrupt the overwhelming flow of DOLLARS that would be streaming out of our wallets ... :-)
Okay..I'm going to write you separately before I get too "poetic" - ha ha! I did get a little ribbon for you, since you couldn't be there...
Post a Comment