Saturday, June 27, 2009

Old Plates at Breakfast



Last weekend, when I was staying at my friend's childhood home for the reunion, we sat around her mother Ortrun's table, as though time had stood still. But, 25 years later, my friend's two daughters were sitting there next to me :-) spreading out homemade plum jam on their bread rolls. I could hardly have imagined that the LAST time I was in her house.

When breakfast was over, I said how much I liked the blue and white plates.

Tanya: I love these plates with this soft blue and white pattern...

Ortrun: These belonged to my grandparents...

Hendrike: We used these all while I was growing up....

Ortrun: They are from about 1890...

Tanya: ..when did you say?!

Ortrun: We always used them, and the girls carried them back and forth between the table everyday. Sometimes one would get broken, but that's how it is with plates. You can see here how the finish is going crackly on some of them....here, look! But, I figure they are old and I am old. It's a good combination.

:-0

I wish I could cross-stitch those last two sentences. It was all I could do to keep from getting the camera; but the table was cluttered with post-meal crumbs and remnants. Plus the "tween" girls were starting to ever-so-gently make fun of my obsessive photo taking. I was suddenly shy.

I came home and went STRAIGHT to the cabinet with my - humble - assortment of things from the grandmothers, the family, the past....and am determined that I, too, want to use them as often as possible. The teapot is a good place to begin. And I can take as many pictures as I want.... ha ha!

Lars was not nearly as interested in my small stash of time-worn treasures; he thought that the "hand man" drawn on his fist by a classmate was the more blog-worthy ;-) item.







No comments: