Thursday, July 2, 2009

Alb Extrem (Alps Extreme)

Alistair here (but you probably knew that from the picture). The Alb Extrem (a ride in the Schwabian Alps) was on Sunday. I did the 190k (120 mile) ride with 3300 meters (about 10,000 feet) of climbing. Big uphills, then big downhills - not too much flat. I started at 0530 and rolled on just stopping at the rest areas for brief stops (with lots of eating and drinking on the ride). I rode easy and felt very strong until about 150k; then I started to get a little tired. The hill at 160k was a little hard and the hill at 180K was really hard (and steep). Overall it was 7 1/2 hours of riding and I was very pleased with how I felt during and after the ride.

The Tour starts on Saturday. It will be great to watch it on TV and live (I'll go see the finish of stage 13 as it is only 2 hours away from us) and then ride stage 20 as part of the Etape du Tour on 20 July. I am ready for the ride (probably another 7+ hour effort) but the last 20km up Mt. Ventoux will be tough. See the profile below. It should be fun!


1 comment:

Tanya said...

A. is setting a great example for the REST ;-) of us in fitness....I'm still grappling with him actually enjoying something so grueling. But, I'm happy he's currently living in an epicenter of hard cycling.