Saturday, September 13, 2008

Perspectives on The First Day of School




Today was Eliza's First Day of German School. And she was UP FOR IT....very, very eager. She was a total team-player today....very, very positive attitude. I think it's not an exaggeration to write that she loved every minute of her First Day of Going to School.

Which is a very big, formal deal here, with Dad's in SUITS. Almost like a graduation.

- I spent a great deal of time making sure that I had all the school supplies on the list, and that I had followed the instructions precisely for labeling all the supplies with her name.

- I made sure that Eliza's new clothes from Nana were washed and dried, so that they were soft and wonderful.

- I made sure that I had the raincoats and umbrellas set aside (for it rained.....all day).

- I made sure that I got enough SLEEP, even after the late-night final touches on the School Cone and German Backpack, so that everything would be ready.

- I arranged for Lars & Ian so they had friends houses/things to do while we were gone.

- I did everything I could to avoid chaos for the Big Saturday Morning.

Somewhere in my mind, when I planned out what I would wear (my uniform of simple black skirt and pale pink turtleneck sweater), it seems I must have been remembering from ANOTHER MOVE that I knew where to find my nylons. Or tights. Or, even trouser socks, really.

No.

It turns out that box is somewhere else (unknown) and that the only pair of socks I could find were in white cotton, with a small graphic of a Viking Ship on the ankle.

I humbly confess to you that I asked both Alistair and Ian if they had black socks. Only Alistair came up an option for me, five minutes before leaving: pinstriped men's socks.....which came up to 4" above my ankle. And, faced with time running through the hourglass, I wore them.....in the rain and 50 degree weather, I couldn't get away with the alternative of open-toed black sandals.

I'm preferring to believe that I sported a Bohemian Look today -- & since I didn't actually view myself in any mirrors, I am going with that image in my mind. My skirt was long enough to maybe - maybe - have camoflauged the clunky combination.

However my appearance, I went forward without any time to recover. I eventually stopped obsessing about the socks, for there were too many other things for me to fret over:

Alistair: What did the Rector just say?

Tanya: I don't know....I couldn't really hear. Something about the first day of school....

And, then I met little Carolin :-) ...... and I loved her. I got her to smile - even in my crazy German. It was something about ketchup -- I don't even remember now what I said. All that mattered to me at the moment is that she smiled.

In fact, I met (and re-met) a lot of people today who were really very nice.....maybe the nicest people don't notice socks all that much; or maybe they just didn't care. ;-) Either way, it turned out okay for the foreign woman wearing men's socks with her black skirt, (although, she needed some wine tonight....)

And it definately turned out okay for the First Grade Girl who lives at our house. On to Monday!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Eliza - Congratulations on your first day of German school, sounds like you're off to a super beginning!! What is a "school cone"?!? Is it that wonderful pink thing you're holding in the 1st photo? Please tell us more! You look just perfect and perfectly happy :)
-Baby Adelaide and family

Patty said...

Wow, Eliza you sure have gotten tall. I can't believe how much you have grown since Miss Patty saw you last. You look beautiful holding your cone. I think the cone idea is awesome. I hope you have a wonderful year.

Kelly said...

I love how HAPPY Eliza looks in the top photo of this post! It sounds like her mom and everyone at the school made it a totally perfect day for her! Kathryn imagined Eliza riding her unicorn to her first day of school:). I can't imagine that others had bigger cones than that! How wonderfully colorful and meaningful the whole cone was!

I'm sure no one noticed your mens' socks - very funny, though:).

Tanya said...

Eliza WOULD have ridden the unicorn to school -- but we said no. She wanted to ride it to Church as well on Sunday (we said no to that, too.)

The cone is squished on her chest, and therefore appears larger than it was...from that angle, it looks big. But, we were right in the middle. :-)

And PATTY -- how can you say Eliza is tall when you are living with Andrew, who has sprouted like a beanstalk? I can't get over how long his legs are!

Eliza has homework....can you believe it? Gotta go -- am also making bread tonight and will definately have a story about that. Stay tuned ;-) ....

PS: thank you, beautiful Adelaide, for your sweet words. I am eager to hear more about YOUR school!!

Mobileholmes said...

LOVE the first photo!!! She looks SOOOO darned happy!

Tanya said...

Mobileholmes: that's my Gudrun Sjoeden tablecloth ;-) -- sorry I missed your call last night. I was baking bread...

hrhejc said...

"...that the only pair of socks I could find were in white cotton, with a small graphic of a Viking Ship on the ankle."

This is fabu! Where does one get ankle socks with small Vikings on them?