On Monday night I went with the landlord's daughter-in-law, Irmgard, to something so COMPLETELY "my thing" that I hardly have words to describe it.
For almost a decade, Irmgard has gone with a group of women each month to bake bread in a wood-burning stone oven. This oven is "run" by an elderly woman who has been there at the Backshaus for decades. There was a spot "open" at the last minute (one woman couldn't go) and so Irmgard invited ME!!
First we went to an old mill to buy the flour (with more kinds of grains and bread ingredients than I have ever seen -- mill running in the background, men loading grain sacks ....) and I was swooning already with THAT alone.
The recipe she gave me was for Potato Bread**, and used 3 kilos of flour. We each made our dough at home, and to use all 3 kilos I had to make three separate batches, (here is where my giddy relationship to the past falters: I was definately using the KitchenAide for this dough ;-) rather than mixing by hand ...I was the only one, though. Those other women all did theirs the old-fashioned way.)
At the Backhaus, the dough goes into the floured bread baskets (Look!!! just LOOK at those!!!!) and everyone "marks" their bread somehow -- the grandsons of the Baker offered to make small pretzel shapes for my loaves. You can see them with their blond curls hard at work.... :-) Then the loaves are sort of "tossed" from the baskets onto a peel and then pushed inside the oven.
After the bread came out of the oven, we brushed the small wood bits off the bread; and my 3 kilos of flour turned into seven loaves. You can see my braided, be-pretzeled loaves....
I am Over-the-Moon.
This must be how A. feels about the bicycles...;-)
This must be how A. feels about the bicycles...;-)
** Potato Bread Recipe: 3 kilos flour (any mix of unbleached/whole wheat); 1 liter buttermilk; 50 grams salt; 5 large potatoes, cooked and put through a ricer; 1 liter of water (+/-); 2 cubes of fresh yeast. All these measurements are transferrable using a Pyrex cup (it shows metric on the other side of cups) and the dry yeast gives equivalent to cubes on the package. I weighed my flour and salt together, but 50 grams of salt seemed to be around 3 teaspoons.
:-)
8 comments:
The first thing I thought when I saw the pictures (and before reading) was OMG bread...so Tanya's "thing". I laughed when I actually read what you wrote. Now just a few questions can that oven be duplicated? Did you get dimensions? :) And how long would one of those loaves take to get here?
well, REMEMBER how you and I always talked about the outdoor brick oven!?!? Master Builder Jeff needs to be part of this discussion, too. Maybe you will need to take a "research trip" in this direction, to gather data.
;-)
I'm still in love and dreamy over last night....it was so great, Patty. You would have really, really loved it. But, you have some equivalents there, don't you? I am really enjoying all your updates, too!!
By the way, Lars and Eliza are crazy for that miso soup you sent..thank you again!!!!
Sooooo funny- seems to be the theme... As soon as we saw the pics we were all thinking the same thing, that this is so quintessentially "Tanya" and you must must have been absolutely giddy :)
That bread, esp the crust looks TDF, I can almost smell it and hear the crust breaking. So cool!
I am so happy for you, Tanya to have found this simple pleasure in life! Did Imgard have any idea when she invited you how much it would mean to you? I recognized her in the picture from our brief meeting:). Enjoy all that scrumptious bread!
What a wonderful narative! I can just imagine you swooning and smiling the entire time:*)
Hey, what a great experience... it's so "me" to notice the bowl before the bread, but what are those bowls made of? Very cool.
The bread looks good too. ;-)
Those bowls are bread raising bowls, and the only other place I've seen them is at King Arthur Flour. I think they are called 'bannetons' or something like that. They seem to be out of a wood like bamboo....that's your keen eye for appreciating rice baskets ;-) !!
Jealous!
Post a Comment