Thursday, August 14, 2008

Looking Back

Here I am in the cradle of my German Beginnings.

My host sister Angela (from 24 years ago) came to visit with her husband and children. Here we are at Legoland :-)....but, more IMPORTANTLY it was a Time Machine for me -- I reverted completely to my 17-year old self, and it was brilliant: Angela translated and explained all those last, little "bits" I wasn't quite sure about.

Do I send this whole amount of Euro in now? Or do I bring that amount with me when I arrive?

What exactly does one put inside these School Cones on the first day of school? AND....Are you absolutely SURE the first day of school is a SATURDAY?

I've forgotten how to conjugate this crazy reflexive verb....can we go over it? Ironically, it was the verb for remember. ha ha ha!
:

Angela graciously & patiently mentored me through every moment -- and I followed like an eager apprentice. Just like it always was. And then -- there was her lovely family along -- seeing her husband and children again & learning new things about them now, made for a week that pulled all the strings together for me. In fact, I drove completely without my GPS today. ;-)

:

It's almost like I've had my own "first school day" as well.

:

Although, after nearly 30 hours of intense foreign language use, I now speak a strange language called "Germinglisch" -- and words are spilling out of me -- locked away for two decades and now finding their way into my sentences. Hey! Here's ANOTHER frequently spoken phrase from this week: Was that right? Did I just use that word the right way? ha ha ha ha!

:

3 comments:

Michelle Breeding said...

What a wonderful reunion! How special this day must have been. I think it is so excited and what a blessing to see a friend from so long ago. I am happy for you that the German is coming for you. I couldn't even imagine since I know no other language. A little French but nothing that would get me anywhere. What a gift you have.

Love this picture to. So special....

Tanya said...

Thank you Michelle :-) -- it so surreal to go back to a place you lived before. Like another lifetime!! I hope your school prep is going well....very exciting!!!

Anonymous said...

What a great gift - to see an old friend and get to know each other's family! Looks and sounds like you are truly enjoying yourself and really set for a fabulous tour. Wonderful!