...I really DO!
It makes me think of the Pacific Northwest. And also a little of Chesapeake's thunderstorms....
Yesterday we went to Church after missing two weeks - and I held on just enough to understand the Sermon (although THIS time, I was not as familiar with the passage: Mark 7:1-7 & 14-? I had to look it up afterwards - but I loved the interpretation from the Pulpit: Honor God Intentionally and On Purpose. The Pastor shared stories from his own life (my favorite part!) about times when he has realized his external behavior gave a pious impression, but internally he was a different man; and looking in the mirror, he realized that he was, in fact, a Pharisee himself....... I could relate to that ;-))
We were invited for lunch by a very kind family from the Church. A family of kind-hearted people who served us wonderful Mittagessen and then Cakes and Coffee. FIVE HOURS of kindness, in fact.
****************
Remember how in May and June, I said that I could feel "it" building inside me.....the enormity of what I was about to do in moving overseas.....and how I just needed a good cry, but wasn't sure how to tap it? Friends laughed with me and agreed that it would come at the unlikliest of moments: a comment from the bagger at Farm Fresh or while mailing something at the Post Office. I thought that surely I would un-freeze and let it flow while I said my goodbyes that last week in VA, but I held it together pretty well.
****************
This sweet German family, while asking sincere questions about what it was like to leave my Church at home, and leave my friends & family at home, had no idea what they had gotten themselves into: FLOOD. Utter flood. At one point, they were both in tears, too (but that may have been sympathetic, from watching someone weep in front of them ;-))
How do I follow THAT?
Enter Eliza, who (while playing outside) had ignored the inceasingly urgent signals from her bladder. She called to me - in distress - from the bathroom; for she had only made it to within two feet of the toilet and had wet herself -- all over their large bathroom rug.
This very kind family assured me that the rug needed laundering anyway.
Hmmmmm......
My judgment was therefore compromised when I agreed to go home just to change clothes and then continue on to the SECOND party to which we had been invited: Mexican Fiesta at Mobileholmes' house. I should have known better, for while the food was delicious, Ian and Lars got into a fist fight on their trampoline -- with other children next to them.
If I had had Ruby Slippers at 7:30 p.m., I would have clicked my heels and gone straight home....I felt like a field that had been plowed :-( -- let's just say there was no danger that I would have the false pride of a Pharisee on THAT day. I'm usually such a sucker for an Object Lesson - but this one made me want the Ruby Slippers; even ones several sizes too small - I would have crammed my feet inside and clicked wildly.
Today I made my children stay inside their individual rooms: solitary confinement. Eliza was grumpy enough this morning to warrant her own time-out.
And then it rained here, with big gray clouds and showers from heavy to light. And I loved it -- the rainy day is the perfect day to recover and hide a little from the world. It reminded me of home and I drank extra coffee, just because. I really do love the rain.
I'm still thinking about the Ruby Slippers, though. ;-)
4 comments:
It sounds like a pretty big Sunday! It sounds like you've held up very well - better than I would have (or did the days before and after you left). You deserved that cry and I'm sure that family appreciated the sincerity of it all! They will probably be your new best friends:).
The rain can be a beautiful thing and does make you want to curl up inside with a pot of coffee.
Glad you've had a chance to recover. Wish I were there!
But at least they were laughing after the fight:*) And you didn't have to make anyone dinner??
The rain seemed like your ruby slippers....taking you away and cleaning away some of the rough stuff......(( HUGS)) I know I don't know you but kind of feel like I do after following your blog ...and you know Katie and Anne....etc....
All the best...
I never thought of it like that! You're right - though - the rainy day was a piece of home. No wonder I liked it so much. ha ha! Thanks for the sweet words... :-)
Post a Comment