The kids and I have been here now a whole MONTH.....and I was thinking about the settling in. It's surreal to move to another country - like a Parallel Universe. Everyone here is just like us, but they do things differently. Not in a bad way, just different.
I recognize that for the last month, it's sort of been like "playing house" ;-) in a lot of ways. Everything is new! There's almost a fun aspect to having the crash kit and minimal gadgets. Like camping. :-) I wonder at my surprise when I realize that making dough or rice has to be done "the old fashioned way" until my Household Goods arrive. I also wonder how long it will be until I really miss a garbage disposal, or those enormous and powerful American clothes-dryers.
Summer makes everything easier....especially the camping-out part.
Speaking of THAT....I could not resist the Red Currants at the Farmer's Market. The vendor was GIVING them away for 1 Euro a box. I fall under the Red Currant Spell periodically, and should confess right now that every time they have rotted in the box, since I really don't know what to do with them.
This time, I sat and looked at them. Like a cat watching a goldfish ;-).....
....hmmmm...what could I do? what could I do? They're seedy and sour....... too hard to make jelly (no gadgets ;-)).....syrup......syrup!! A red currant simple syrup....how would I use this...? Mineral water.....wait a minute......
A mental picture of scherbener shaking martinis for 52 seconds each FLASHED into my head and I am pleased to write that I now have a half-jar of red currant syrup, to be used in a variety of ways.....although the martini shaker is several weeks away in the Household Goods ;-)
I filled a Nutella jar with the extras and poured gin over the top. Just for an experiment; am very open to suggestions on how to use - the gin took on a "schnapps" aroma right away - is gin even used for that? Either way, the whole thing made me feel all creative and even a little Farm Girl.
6 comments:
Hi Borchert Family! Thank you so much for the sharing this website filled with many wonderful stories. You have always been such a great story teller and I feel like I was at each place that you mentioned in this blog. I love the house, the buildings, the fruits and veggies, and I am so glad the kids seem to be very happy there and you and Alistair as well. I will keep you all in my prayers. Take care of yourselves. Looks just beautiful there and keep these pictures coming.
Love and Blessings,
Michelle
Thank you Michelle :-)...you are so sweet. The prayers really matter, and I have felt them keenly. I appreciate it very much - since this whole thing was such a "leap" for me! I miss you and GBPC very much :-( you know.....
Tanya, I am glad you have felt the prayers. We miss you as well and I know GBPC does tremendously. The church you found there sounds and looks to be lovely. I think you will be happy there and also sounds like you are on the ball to finding schools as well. It may be a huge leap, but you are the one that can handle it all. You take everything with such ease and you know that God is with you every step. I will keep on praying and trying to stay in touch. Like I said, I regret not being able to say bye to you. You and your family are much too important to us to let slip away. I am so sorry I got too caught up with everything. You have my sincere apology. You guys take care and I will keep on checking this wonderful journal of your lives.
Many blessings.....
I've got a shaker:*)
Brilliant! LOVE the simple syrup idea. It could even encourage us to copy your idea and actually purchase the $5 per 1/2 pint (!) courants at our extremely well-edited 4 tent Farmers' Mkt. So far, I have simply stood staring at the beautiful clusters for as long as possible before moving on to avoid making too much of a spectacle of myself. Also, love that little container yours come in - looks like a vintage European design with the lovely berry pics on the side - do you get to keep that?! My mind is racing for ideas of what you could do with that...
well-edited 4-tent market....ha ha! ...SUCH great descriptions come from you!! :-)
Yes..I get to keep the berry containers; but they are made of cardboard. They are apparently put to use by the Germans on the BOTTOM of the Compost Trash Bins so that nothing sticks -- I am still thinking that I could clean them "enough" - maybe - to hold on to them for awhile.
Am staying tuned for your ideas. ;-) It would have been fun to make that syrup together.
Post a Comment