Saturday, October 20, 2012

Potatoes and Beets

sides for one of the September dinners
 
I am still head-over-heels about my vegetable deliveries.  I practically DANCE down the walk each week when my box is delivered.  

kitchen help ;-)
 
It is a weekly treasure chest of delicious surprise: 

the first pumpkin arrived in early October.....
 
But, out of everything coming to me in that wonderful wooden crate, I'm especially fond of the potatoes: 

 
 
Look at how the potatoes come to me -- in a cotton net bag to hold a staple food of  time and tradition.   All cleaned up and gorgeous for me -- ready to use and enjoy.  I've been roasting them mostly....wedges, halves, cubes.....and the oven turns them into nuggets of gold. 


I also *really* love the beets. 

 
Sometimes they are mixed colors (orange, pink & white) and some other weeks they are deep ruby red.   My favorite way to prepare these is from a recipe out of Deborah Madison's Vegetarian Cooking for Everyone



Look: 



Curiously, these beets have not been the "big seller" at dinner parties I've expected them to be.  I myself find the earthiness and tang make *such* a nice contrast to a savory meat, after all.   Out of five menus, only one dinner group ate the beets down to one, solitary ramekin.

 
But, at the end of the day, I really don't mind too much that beets *usually* end up as leftovers.  It leaves more for me, after all......


YUM....rye bread with horseradish cream and roasted beets. 

I would have never imagined that I could enjoy vegetable deliveries as much as I enjoyed going to the market every week in Germany....but, it is glorious, simply GLORIOUS, to have a box of wonderful delivered to the door!!!   In fact, the box has started to be a springboard for my menus.  After all, it can hardly get any more local or fresh than what comes each week in the crate.  I looked up this week's delivery on line and see that Jerusalem Artichokes are on the way.......thinking, thinking about that for next week's dinner party. 

:-) 

3 comments:

Padden4 said...

Oh! Roasted beets! They are one of our favorites. The kids actually beg for them. You've reminded me that I need to go get the last of them out of the garden. I am so very glad you are enjoying your veggie box. I can remember what a treat that was. You are lucky that you get to look up what you are getting. We only found out when it landed on the front step. It taught us a whole new way of cooking and menu planning. What fun! And they look so beautiful, too. How many dinners are you averaging? How big?

Tanya said...

I was thinking about you and the CSA boxes, actually...and how you said it was a surprise each time. That could be fun -- although, I appreciate being able to see the projected contents a few days out.

We are averaging about one dinner/coffee/playdate per week -- I like to include children, :-), so that puts us around ten people, usually. The gracious American taxpayer (thank you!) has provided me with a large table, enough chairs and buffet/flatware storage drawers -- so that part of the ten-person-party is easy. I'm washing the tablecloth & linens from this weekend right now, and starting to plan for next weekend, in fact. I sure wish I could remember to take PICTURES. On Friday, Eliza set the napkins at a 45 deg. angle on the square plates I used -- it looked really good, since it filled half the square on the diagonal. I was proud of her for trying something new. This one coming next weekend is a slightly bigger deal -- so I'm practicing my meat in a small portion today (filet steaks) so I get it right when it counts.

I love those beets, too....my mouth is watering just thinking about them -- and it's 10 am!! :-)

NANA said...

Well, I'm proud of Eliza also...and I'm proud of you...I can not imagine doing what you're doing...I simply could not do such things...gee whiz! (Good girl :)