This is Ian.
 |
| Eliza with grazing does in the background. |
On the Friday before fall break, all of the schools in Denmark
take a day off school and do some sort of physical activity, called motionsdag
(motion day). Our school annually goes to the deer park by our house for their
motionsdag. At the high school, we were given the opportunity to volunteer to
go with one of the younger classes, so I went with Eliza’s class.
 |
| Lunchtime |
Had I not gone with Eliza’s class, I could have slept a few
hours later and gone straight to the
park, since the high school is very relaxed about activities like this, but
since the fourth grade class had to go to school first, I got to sit through and
hour of fourth grade classes, and then took the train with them back to the
park, where we walked for a few hours before stopping at a big hill for lunch
and playtime...
 |
Eliza prepares to climb into the tree with the help of one the logs I had to move into place.
Her teacher can be seen up in the tree as well. He fits in well with his class. |
… Which very quickly became an ‘Ian, help us lift this log
here and climb the tree with this big branch to help us build a tree house!’
type of playtime. I was very impressed at how well the boys made
their platform, using teamwork, they were able to get a lot of branches up on
their own, but when it came to the heavy ones, I had to climb the tree
while holding 30 – 40 pound pieces of wood with only one hand available for
climbing.
 |
| Lars was with his own class, (fourth grade girls were too much for him to handle). But we still saw him on the way. |
We did not see many of the 2,000 deer in the park, as they
well avoided the roar of the kids, heading up to the north end of the park
where fewer people were, but we could still hear their mating calls from miles
away.
 |
Eliza's exact words, "That looks like a nice set of antlers on that buck"
(my mom had forbidden ME from making any hunting/trapping/shooting/scouting jokes about the deer ) |
After going back to school when the walk was finished, Eliza
went to flag football club, which she was glad that I was able to help her
practice passes, since the boys can be a little rough (they wanted me to show
them tackles. Not very easy to do when it’s a 6 foot 5, high 200’s, defensive
lineman vs. a four foot tall elementary school student). Eliza passes well, but is a little afraid of the
ball when it’s thrown hard. We plan on throwing passes in the yard over the
break, (the hard part will be keeping our nice football away from our small,
furry ball of razor wire, even though he is very sweet
J).
 |
| QB making a pass |
2 comments:
good job, Ian :-)....you're a sweet big brother.
THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!!!! We so very much appreciate you jumping out off bed earlier than you'd have needed to...and catching all this to share!! When I saw kids climbing in that tree I was delighted that there's still a school for American kids that's not so frozen into fear of lawsuits that kids can still DO such things with their classmates! A teacher up there also? And building a tree house? And having a non employee help haul wood for it up there? Wow...fabulous. And comment Eliza made about the buck made me laugh out loud...SO glad you shared that...and you even caught a photo of Lars..it was all just perfectly done my dear. (SO MANY layers of pleasure to this I can't comment on them all...) It WAS a good job.. :-)...and you're not JUST a sweet big brother...you're a sweet GRANDSON for doing this great blog..THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!!!
Post a Comment