Monday, October 8, 2012

Impulse Buying

 
I bought myself a new book full of  Christmas ideas last week.

 Look at what's inside:

 
Aaahhh....a cat standing on the toadstool?  Fabulous.


Fabric Roses on shoes?  Eliza will love that! 

 

Cake pincushion?  Mmmmmmm.....

It was a quick and effortless snatch -- I felt like I sort of "deserved" to get it, since that is what I promised myself like a mantra during the agony of giving away all those Norwegian idea books.  Inside my head, Danish and Norwegian are like Spanish and Italian;  maybe not so difficult for native speakers to navigate, but for me it's language soup.  It was a visceral and painful process last year getting the Norwegian words OUT of my head, to make room for the Danish ones. 

 At that time of purging,  I encouraged myself with: 

"You'll just get new Danish books!  Lovely books!   The Norwegian is too hard to mix in, after all.  Give the books to the DC language school --- share --- be happy!  Buy new ones in Denmark!"

So, I did go ahead and get myself a new book here.  It wasn't hard to convince myself after I saw how I could make a puppet theater to house all my cats, rabbits and dress-wearing deer.  ;-)

 

I went over the photos luxuriously later at home.  Then, I looked at the author's preface.... and noticed....something...wasn't quite....right

 

You've got to be kidding me.  It's in Norwegian. 

In my rush -- in the fluster and flurry of impulse -- I failed to remember that Tone Finnanger is a quite famous, quite VERY famous,  Norwegian designer.  I see the website has English on the side.  Unbelievable. 


I'm keeping this one, though.  It's worth sipping a little "language soup" -- and making an doll in a teacup, as a reminder......     :-)

2 comments:

NANA said...

Well, as always..you made me laugh! HA! That's so funny! (And the book is so keen)

Padden4 said...

So very funny! Like I said before, you amaze me. I can't imagine that languages swimming around in that beautiful head of yours... ;)