pan of noodles in the first few days
Another Kitchen Story....
- only certain kinds of pans can be used (ferrous metal)
- burner:base ratios matter a lot
- moving a pan off the burner automatically turns it off (well, you have 90 seconds before it shuts down completely).
The Embassy generously, generously purchased an expensive set of Danish pans designed for this type stove:
Wrong. My All-Clad pans work okay...but, the elegant pans work much, much better. So much better that I over-cooked both my potatoes and my broccoli into a soggy mess......while my two pots of rice were wet, swampy and undercooked. What? How?! Tempted as I was to return immediately to the slower All Clad, I'm not sure I have the 35 minutes available every day just to bring the water to a boil.....I'm caught between a jet engine and horse-pulled cart.
This made me suspicious of Induction and her elitist tendencies ;-). I started to wonder about the level of perfection required for cooking vessels; and by the way, just how automatic do I really need things to be? Is my resistance because I'm getting older and less flexible? Or is it that having a stove think for me is a mildly repugnant use of technology? I figure not too many women yearned for a return to hauling the bucket of water after they had spigots in their houses, but I am pretty sure there were significant numbers of women who regarded microwaves suspiciously, not ready to walk away so quickly from the traditional - and trusted - ways of heating food.
It didn't help matters that my naive & joyful rush to the stove after unpacking my coffee pot ended in the sad and depressing realization....
While Bialetti has layered the outside of the coffeepot in stainless steel at the factory, it's not enough -- the aluminum core is identified and shunned by Induction Society:
alternative with the butter warmer - clever & desperate
splotchy, watery, bubbling mess....
so empty....
So, there it is. I have some very serious practicing & learning to do over here with this stove.
no complaints from the risotto chef, though...
5 comments:
Well, again, I love the blog..and got a few belly laughs (you are funny)...and, again, I have to admire your patience. Dear heaven, why must you learn to cook all over? (God does know...and I do trust it's some good reason :) But, with all you have to do getting settled in...why, what you must do to eat...(and do darn well very, very soon)...should require the equivelent of reinventing the wheel....is a mystery to me. (It IS a beautiful kitchen/stove/etc and what a mercy the instructions are in English this time) (And I'm glad your noodle man and rice chef are unimpeded..ha) God bless you my dear (I have great confidence you'll master it all :)
Oh Tanya....my heart goes out to you. I am sure, like your mother said, that you will master it all in short order, but what a royal pain! I will be very anxious to hear how your relationship with your stove unfolds. Greg has been talking for a couple of years about our next stove being induction. Me, I am not so sure. Give me a gas stovetop any day and I will be deliriously content.
It's going better. Thanks for the encouragement!! Practice makes perfect ;-) after all. I figure I just need to learn how to use it correctly. Part of the confusion is because it is all so technical and modern (and $$$....I'm used to low-to-mid range appliances - ha!)
WHY does Greg think this is a good idea? I'd love to know his reasons....energy, for sure, is on that list. But, what else does he think makes induction a better choice? I need Greg to tell me why I should like this! ha ha!
Actually I considered getting one because I'd heard food doesn't dry out like in regular oven (Meat, specifically, is never dry in convention? Maybe a myth?) I actually didn't get one for this very reason...I didn't have time to piddle around learning the new ways (besides, we're used to dried out meat...so what the heck...ha!)
But they are easy to clean! 1 upside
Post a Comment