Tuesday, July 3, 2012

England



We stayed outside of London for two nights before flying to Copenhagen.

Yattendon Village in Berkshire,  outside London

Our big outing that weekend was to a gastro-pub called The Pot Kiln, which is about 17 miles west of the city. 

The Pot Kiln

When we lived in Germany, the German food channel had episodes (in English!!!!) of a show profiling The Pot Kiln plus all the refurbishing, recipe testing & menu making that went on there with the owner chef Mike Robinson. 


Who cares about Big Ben when there's a plate of venison waiting off to the west?  ;-)


It did not disappoint.


First there was some of the special ale brewed locally just for the pub....


....and Alistair got himself a Beck's non-alcoholic beer and immediately gave his daughter (!!!!) a small taste.  I'm am writing the truth when I type here that the following sentence was audibly heard at this table: 

Eliza, are you going to finish your beer? 

Obviously, we have left the US, and are thoroughly in the fantasy land of vacation. 


There was Cream of Onion Soup with Goat Cheese Ravioli (Eliza's starter to wash away that ounce of Beck's)......


....and Grilled Mackerel for me with beets and DIVINELY pickled fennel. 

Ian in the mirror....

But really the most interesting plate came to Ian:


Wood Pigeon* salad with the surprise of lead shot.  The menu DID warn us about that, in fact.....however, the pellet could not have come to a more grateful recipient than Ian, who promptly wrapped it up into a piece of paper and slipped it into his wallet.  The ultimate souvenir, I suppose. 


Pork Two Ways came to my placemat....


....and Eliza chose the Turbot with Cockles and Pine Nuts.  The plate was beautiful -- like a still-life of the ocean's best -- but, she did say that the clams were not nearly as good as those from Nana's.   How could they be, after all?  Eliza has a high and discerning standard now, which no seafood purveyor will ever be able to match.  At age nine she has come to the conclusion that Nana's is the place for the finest seafood. 


T-Bone of Venison* with Jersey Potatoes went to all three fellows.


Bread Pudding and Ice Cream for Lars and Eliza to share....


....and Ian and I had the cheese board.  Yum.


I need a sign like this
:-)


*I was very pleased to hear everyone SLUR over the words "pigeon" and "venison" while ordering, so as to avoid over-emphasizing to our little seafood eater what was actually about to be consumed.  

looking at "woodsman" trophies on the wall behind us....
  

2 comments:

Ian said...

Dad was the lucky one who got the lead shot, then I stole it :)

NANA said...

How storybook...AGAIN :) (And so wonderfully shared...again.) We love it all. It crossed my mind I never could have dreamed, when I used to bring books home to toddler Tanya from weekly shopping,that you'd actually spend your adult life BEING such places..ha! (Also thrilled to hear Eliza is loyal to "Nana's Clams") (And also thrilled the men all ordered venison steak..will appreciate any gleaned info about how it was prepared/marinated/etc)