Monday, July 9, 2012

Bike to Discover the New


We got our bikes last Friday......


.....and immediately started using them.  


We rode to the water.....


....where we found some sparrows happy to have Eliza's bread crumbs.


And from Ian, too. :-)

Then we rode to the next town over to see a movie. 


In Denmark, there is an actual LANE for bicycles on most streets.  See the curb?  To the left is the road, to the right is the sidewalk for walkers.  Can you believe how wonderful that is?!?


A few kilometers later, we were at the theater door....with long bike racks outside. 


There were a couple of interesting things in the theater:


Snack Bar with five "walls" of bulk candy bins....(as well as the popcorn and soda Ian is holding above - but it was also self-service from an island in the middle).


...and votive candles on the tables in the waiting area.  :-)

The first area in our houses to be "arranged" & orderly has usually been for the bikes. 


Which has turned out this time to be just perfectly, wonderfully right.

4 comments:

Padden4 said...

Oh my goodness...can you just imagine what would happen at a theater like that in America? I love it.

When we were looking at Google Earth, we were commenting on how it looked like there was a path straight to the beach and water from your house. That is so great. I remember what fun it was to discover a new place. So glad you are all enjoying the newness of it all.

NANA said...

Thank you for all the smiles this blog gave me..I'm so excited you're so close to water!! (And salt water? It looks big..so...) And very beautiful with hedge of roses and tidy rows of sailboats...and just a bike ride away..wow! And then to the next town on bike? How wonderful (and 5 walls of candy?) Ha! Our "Food Police" would never let a theater here do such a thing..ha...how fun the grands could see such a theater! (You didn't mention what movie you saw...and if in Danish...etc...now I'm curious about that :)

Tanya said...

We saw Ice Age 4...in English :-); I was *most* surprised by the open flame and candles at the theater. I cannot imagine that EVER in an American theater.

The biking is great, but since bicycles have their own lane, they are also expected to follow traffic laws. Learning those all of a sudden is a little dicey (left hand turns, for example, make perfect sense to Danes who grew up here) but we're working on it. I think Lars and I are easily the winners of the category "Most Cautious" - ha ha! So, it's going to take a little longer to feel comfortable for Lars and me.

Tanya said...

PS: the water is called Oresund (but with a "crazy O" at the front....I couldn't find one to cut and paste, but it has a diagonal line through it) and it is the section or straight of ocean between Denmark and Sweden.