Saturday, July 7, 2012

(Almost) Blank Canvas


We have a wide and spacious interior in this house, and I am grateful, grateful.  Our family fills up all the bedrooms, leaving a generous "public space" to use and enjoy.   My first project is how to make this nook into a convertible guest space. 


Because I want to have room for guests!!

panning to the left, toward living room

The very first thing must be more furniture....and we are working on that.  We have been generously provided with furniture for our time here -- but the house is so much roomier than the average floorplan, it seems "empty" by comparison.   There is an echo, in fact.

further left...television must go on left wall next to window (the one jack is there)

There will be cotton twill slipcovers going over those couches just as soon as I can get them.  Some small items are coming in the move - floor cushions, blankets & pillows.  Lots of frames to choose from for the walls.  I'll buy plants, too.   

further left, toward dining room....

But, how to arrange it all?  Where....which configuration of seating?    Do I want to switch the rugs around?  There is a gigantic one under my feet as I photograph this, in front of the bookcases.   Clearly, I've got some decisions to make.

I've begun with a pitcher full of flowers from the yard.  That's a start. :-) 

right-hand wall is only one in the nook without radiators

I'm leaning toward a sleeper sofa and some kind of hanging room divider, which can be pulled across to create a guest room as needed.....but, it also needs to look good for when it's not being used.  At least one of those chairs will come out.  The whole thing will need to pass as an attractive sitting room during the daytime.

Any ideas for this chameleon project?  

6 comments:

Padden4 said...

Wow, you do have so much room! How wonderful. I have a couple thoughts right off the bat..

What if you moved the two chairs and table into the corner? Then with a sleeper sofa put against the wall you would have sitting plus sleeping. Could you get a small dresser to put in between the chairs instead of the table so guests would have a place for clothes, etc.? Then could you get some folding screens for privacy and adding color?

In the dining room could you move the hutch to a different wall so it doesn't look like everything is all lined up?

I will continue to think of more ideas for you...

NANA said...

So absolutely charming...beautiful spaces...I also was thinking of screens (that could actually be left partially in place...then fully closed when needed..OR..positioned behind sleeper sofa against wall until needed) I actually love the look of the dining room just as it is...seems cozy and inviting to me...(but you know me...I'm on the spectrum...so I do love things lined up and looking "storybook" :)

Tanya said...

Yes!!! Keep thinking and sending ideas my way :-). Slipcovers have arrived and are on the two couches. Still a lot of thinking to do on the nook...keep the ideas coming, please. :-)

NANA said...

Actually, I was thinking you could use styrofoam to deaden the sound (and stiffen the structure of the screens :) Might give it a bit more feeling of privacy with sound as well as visual were blocked off..not quite like a real wall, but, alot more than just fabric. And, of course, fabric or wallpaper would easily install over the styrofoam :)
Another idea with the styrofoam is to use it to make pllars on each side of entry to the room....with a cornice or valance hung between..to stabalize and also hide another set of the same curtains that are on the windows...(which could then either be up and totally out of sight...or down...the advantage here would be ventilation..in event the room gets either too hot, too cold, too stuffy feeling?

Melissa said...

Thats a great space! Lots of room and light. I love the fireplace too. Cant wait to see what you do with it.

Kelly said...

The house looks great, Tanya! So exciting! I've just discovered the discussions on houzz.com. You can post your design dilemmas on their and other people and designers post their advice. It's great - and as addicting as pinterest if you're decorating:). Have fun with it!