It's just that......there are so many CHOICES here. Most of our school classmates have at least two, if not THREE calendars for each day in Advent. This makes it very hard for me to edit, or simplify. First of all, I have the well-used red bags:
Alistair has our traditional set of bags, each one filled with a single chocolate, just for him. Since he's on the third year of not needing to share the contents with three children, he gets the liquor-filled ones ;-).
Next up is Ian:
Ian is going with another over-the-top assortment of truffles this year, manufactured by Lindt.
Now, Lars:
Aaahhh...so hard to say no to that.
So, we didn't! We said YES!! Yes, please! We want that one, too!
Eliza chose a very large, and very beautiful poster of horses in the stable, with 24 little paper doors to open. She actually gasped when she saw it inside the mountain of calendars at the store. A gasp clearly means we have to take it home.
Although, the more we started thinking about it, the more we realized that a large and beautiful PAPER calendar meant the total absence of chocolate.
Enter Eliza's Imagination: maybe we should have 'feed bags' for each day, with a 'treat' inside?
But, in my opinion, the best Advent Calendar of all this year was the one that ALISTAIR put together as a surprise for ME :-) -- for ME!! -- while I was in Copenhagen. Look!
Next year we'll come back to Earth ;-) and have a shared Advent Bag for everyone, just like the years before living here.
It's nice to know that at the very least we'll have no regrets when it comes to the cultural elements of a German December, since we have clearly gone the proverbial extra mile several times over, there.......am thinking, however, it might be nice to SQUEEZE the Nativity into all this Advent Flurry at some point...... ;-) ;-) Hmmmmmm.
5 comments:
An advent calendar for Mom! I'm so jealous :)
Oh my...
I think I am actually swooning. What a wonderful advent surprise for you and I absolutely agree with all of your choices of calenders. Of course you have to have chocolate for everyone and of course you need to have excessive calenders. Bravo for all of you. Happy Advent! I hope the countdown to the birth of the Baby King is truly wonderful for all of you!
Wouldn't you have loved all this as a child (lucky you can still love it all as a mom, huh?) I had to laugh at the horse bags (for two)...the acorn doesn't fall far from the tree, huh? Ha! And...how wonderful Alistair really is..and Lars and Eliza...such a nice surprise to come home to (Glad he has his own line-up...with the "daddy candies")
Mom - my neighbor saw a large Advent Doll with a quilted skirt and 24 pockets, each holding an Advent treat.
There would have been no peace at our house until I'd convinced you we had to have a doll like that.
ha ha ha! :-)
I really am giddy about my calendar - the kids made such sweet drawings and it makes me smile just to see the bags and imagine them sitting at the table, 12 bags each, red pen in hand. Yesterday's gift was a bottle of spiced wine. :-)
Golly!!! When Alistair fills advent bags...he really goes for the gold!!! (Well, I guess his STANDARD is to go for the gold, now that I think about it..ha!) And you're right about that doll..ha...(And we know your dad would have caved...I'd have been the mean one saying it was preposterous :) (Well, maybe GG would have swayed me?)
Post a Comment