The Germans are so good at this, I think. Look at what one woman in my baking group gave me:
completely simple, completely un-complicated, completely wonderful.
I have completed my own yearly batch of Christmas presents for the teachers......
clear plastic insert stamped with staz-on ink
....and while I'm pleased with this as a streamlined, useful + simple gift, I can't seem to reach the same place that a jar of marmalade, felt ornament and a bit of chocolate achieve. The sum is truly greater than it's parts. I will certainly copy that someday --
do I love this so much because the colors match? Or, is this a European Moment - and I'm seeing the subtle differences between simple-gift-American-style versus simple-gift-German-style? Would it be strange in the US to give someone marmalade?
While I argued with myself inside my own head ;-), I received another gift today from a mother in Eliza's class:
When I first read this, I thought:
does she think I don't know this? But, the more I turned it over in my mind, the more I realized that it's a good & timely message for me two days before Christmas. There's nothing wrong, after all, with a little Christmas Re-Direct and thoughtful introspection.
front of the card
Although, I'm still going to save the marmalade + felt ornament idea for some other day.....
but I feel less agonized now over achieving the 'perfect score' on my own gifts.
;-)
3 comments:
Tanya, First I'm so behind on reading your blog which you know I adore. I keep seeing them on FB but have been spending less and less time there and really less and less time (translate: none) on my own blog so I loved being up early this morning to see this one. First I do agree it would be odd to give a jar of marmalade in the US but I think it's because we (as in the USA "we") don't pride ourselves on the simple things in life. It's all about bigger and better. Sad but true. I too so wish giving a heartfelt jar of jam would be enough. And second I think your gift is definitely of 'equal' to the German gift (I certainly love it and would love to have received it!) and that is because it comes from the heart. And that is what I think touches you the most. And I think the friend's card was beautiful....she was not writing to "tell you something" but writing to say she is of the same heart as you. She sees your light shine through and wanted to say that the same is in her heart whether you see it or not. A beautiful gift at the holidays. Your family is so blessed to have you leading them into this world. Merry Christmas!
Ditto to what Michele said :)
thanks Michele and Mom... :-) xoxoxo
Post a Comment