Friday, June 11, 2010

Water, Woods and Wet Paper


We've been trying to go regularly to look at the little stream along the woods path.  It's interesting to see how it's changing from week to week. 


We don't see the mice anymore, now that they have their own forest of wild grass to cover them. :-(


Two friends from school came along with us -- perfect opportunity to do a little science on the side. 

Waterproof paper from one of Ian's army notebooks -- we dunked these and were all surprised to see that you really CAN still write on it when it's wet. 



Nana's Bug Tin as mobile desk, and Grandpa's magnetic space pen -- it clamped the papers to the box, as well. :-)  The boys liked this a lot.



Small stream creatures....I don't know what these are. 


One of the boys knew the German name.  Something German....


.....something wiggly...... 


And a sample of water to take back home ...

....for a peek through the microscope. 


I love how Lars plays along with my "Homeschool Moments" -- even better is when the German classmates toss me some 'cool mom' points.   


Especially since we didn't actually find anything in our water slides.   But, the learning part was still fun, I think -- and Eliza moved on to looking at a scrap of thin cotton.  It looks like chicken wire when it's magnified. :-)

1 comment:

NANA said...

I'm thrilled that you're seeing the woods walk stuff every week..(and even using microscope!) When Eric and I were on our trails every day I was so astonished by the tiny changes. And I fantasized about my grandchildren enjoying it all..and..here they are doing it!!!
Not here, of course, but nonetheless, I'm thrilled about it!
(Also, I want paper I can write on wet...ha...nearly unbelievable!!)