Thursday, June 3, 2010

Every Town Has A History


After seeing the horses at Graditz, we went a few miles north to Torgau, where there are lots of old things.....



....and lots of history, most of which I don't understand.  It's a funny feeling to read stories of people who were significant in a country's development, and not have any sense of who they were.  I wonder if the Germans feel the same way when they are in Boston, Philadelphia or Jamestowne?


The closest I got to a connection, was that the SISTER of one of Henry VIII's wives (Anne of Cleves) lived in this castle.  Hmmm. 




Well, I loved Torgau for all of it's "unknown-to-me" bits of history. 


Like the bears "still" kept in the castle moat.....the word "still" indicates a story, I know.....but, I'm in the dark.   It sounds good, though.


See him there?  Behind the log and lined up with the dotted line on Lars' arm?


Here's another story I'd like to understand:  this house is being renovated, and for a mere 400K in Euros, you can get yourself three rooms. 


Literally, three ROOMS.  I get that it's from the 16th century, and that makes it both desirable & unique real estate.  But, three rooms is petite, by any standard.  Torgau isn't all that close to Berlin......I'd be so curious to know more about the target market for these apartments, and where those people are working.  :-)

Outside a doorway on the sidewalk......

There's so much hidden inside "unknown-to-me" places, still mysterious and waiting to be discovered....it makes me feel like the world is still pretty big, after all.

Photo by Lars. :-)

1 comment:

NANA said...

Bears in the moat!!! Like Papa said, "no one was gettin in there"...(and I said, "or out")
I've always wanted shutters and one of those little cute shutter holders (Have never seen one quite that cute though, that's for sure)
And I should sink something into the concrete someday...but wouldn't metal rust away (that one didn't seem to...or..was it metal?)