Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Vinegar


One of my wines went sour, (from the "tasting" several months ago.)

I was OVER THE MOON.....for I have always wanted to make vinegar. Or, have vinegar make itself ;-) on my kitchen counter. But, I'm not sure what to do NOW. It's been there - with mesh cover - for a couple of months. Do I add new wine? Do I pull out and bottle the majority and keep only a remnant for "seeding" new vinegar? Can this go bad at all?

I find that all my Google Research is coming up vague.....as though this is something incredibly easy that just everyone knows how to do? Not me.

Any tips? Anything at all....?

;-)

4 comments:

NANA said...

It's my understanding apple cider vinegar can never go bad (Martha Stewart? Can't remember)..so same is probably true with wine vinegar?
(I believe vinegar is even anti-
septic?)
My guess for now is bottle this and
any wine,breathing, will go to vinegar if it's warm enough long enough (But...of course, I don't know..ha-ha)(Were you still home when I tried to make apple cider vinegar? My oh my. Ha! Even out in the driveway it smelled sour, so I bailed. Should try again. With wine this time?) Teach me, please?

Tanya said...

I was thinking that I could always ask a VINTNER, since there are several around this part of Germany. But, then the language thing pops up....I have to get my words together before I plunge in. :-) Besides, I don't want to just have the winery offer to sell me some of their vinegar....I want to make my own.

One of my chef friends answered a separate e-mail that I need "mother" which will eat the alcohol. But, I was wondering if my original sour wine would already have "mother" since it went to vinegar on it's own. She said I could ORDER this through the mail, and that she has dabbled in vinegar making in the past.

I think this could be a lot of fun. :-) I don't remember the apple cider vinegar....but I DO remember the rootbeer in the woods popping....

Anonymous said...

look at FoodTV - Alton Brown's "Good Wine Gone Bad" episode.
http://www.foodnetwork.com/good-eats/good-wine-gone-bad/index.html

There's even a (not exactly authentic) Sauerbraten recipe!

p.s. just booked A&T flight. Gonna miss the fun (this time).

Tanya said...

...and I am over-the-moon about them coming!!! :-) :-)

Thank you as well for the vinegar tips...I think I have a good one in the making right now, and I don't want to mess it up. I couldn't access the Alton Brown notes -- do you remember what he said? I am beginning to suspect that this is one those things that is so simple it's hard....