We're aiming for Thursday the 10th. Morning.
Wait, here is where I have something grand and amazing to share: because of my well-stocked STASH of hoarded supplies, the Homemade Birthday Party is coming together with ease and fluidity.
Homemade because Eliza chose a new book for her theme; not just a new book for us in our house -- a NEW book. This means there is not even one paper napkin available to buy with this party theme. But, it's all going to work out great because this author, while definately German, writes with a British influence - and all the mice & squirrels in his stories have names like "Rupert" or "Billy" -- so the English vibe will fit us. And we can pronounce the names better than anyone.... ha ha!
Let me continue on how much I love my oft-moved stash. I'm giddy.
Look at THAT!! The stitched-country-rubber-stamps - unused for ten years - a perfect fit for the gift bags (brown paper.) The whole plot of this story, Tilda Apfelkern (Appleseed...so great....) is about sewing and hand work.
The mice, hedgehog, squirrel friends work together on stitching, knitting, crocheting, jam making....it wasn't all that hard for Eliza to convince me, in the end. :-) All the food they eat in the book is classic, tea-party fare. I figure we will read the book, play some games, do some crafts, eat some scones.
There's more!! Padden4 gave me some upholstery samples a couple of years ago and together with needle/felt and embroidery floss (from my carefully kept supplies), I added buttons, thimbles, threaders into the last 12 round tins from a Martha kit I bought several years ago.....
....to become THESE sewing kits for the favor bags.....(my inner American Mother couldn't resist marking each needle felt with the word for "CAREFUL" ;-) )

I did all of this before leaving for Norway, and am feeling on-track five days out. All that is really left now is to just bake - and then HAVE the party. With twelve children. From where I'm sitting now, it's looking easy. After re-discovering the "treasure chest" element of saved bits and pieces, I'm in love again with my overflowing stash.
What could go wrong? I'm at ten children right now.....
What could go wrong? I'm at ten children right now.....
I know exactly how she feels.... :-)
3 comments:
ALWAYS wish you were closer..breaks my heart I'll miss that party (and the prep). I'll be big girl and not whine and cry if you promise me lots and lots of photos. (It's so adorable...I'm so proud of you...and you're obviously walking in grace for it to have come together so beautifully from what you had on hand, bless your good heart)
Ohhhhhh! I am so honored to be a part of this! How wonderful to have the FABULOUS stash! Please do post lots of pictures. You, as I have said many times, are totally the coolest mom in the world! I aspire to be you. Give the birthday girl a big hug for me. And I am interested in that book...is it only in german?
Now, this is interesing....such admiration from two women who are BOTH masters of keeping a well-stocked supply of materials. :-) If anything, my entire ESSAY was to show you both how I have learned from you! And that all those guilty days I've had about my (tons of) bits and pieces are gone from my mind.
Nana -- family party is TODAY with your refrigerator ;-) sized box and will post photos of all that first, so you can see....maybe I'm trying to make up for the last three years by having TWO parties this time.
Lisa -- yes, the book is in German. I was caught on that...naturally, I want Eliza to work on her German, since she needs that for school. But, there I'll be, sitting in front of ELEVEN children (another RSVP this morning) with my hit-miss German. So, I'm practicing.
Honestly, honestly -- both of you are better suited to "coolest mom in the world" than I am, since I have COPIED so much off of you!!!! xoxoxoxo
Post a Comment