Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Guten Morgen

There was no way to make coffee in the house.... I have a beautiful cup and the finest coffee in the world, (from Cafe Pronto in Annapolis -- courtesy of the Powells :-)) but no grinder. I walked four blocks to the bakery, and when I got there, I saw I had fallen backwards into an amazing and serendipitous Hot Water Bottle: the FARMER'S MARKET.

I nearly cried.

Look at the flat peaches!!! And the long radishes!!! And see the little sprigs of twiggy things with the green beans? Savory. The green beans come with savory packed alongside them in the bag.

I got my coffee, too. :-)

As for the journey here, thank you to EVERYONE who sent prayers on our behalf -- I felt them, and I appreciate them very much...all that love I had to leave behind ended up traveling with me ;-)...!

Right now, we're off to "meet" the school for Eliza and Lars ....I'm glad I had the verbal "training wheels" this morning at the Farmer's Market, because at the school, I will have to talk to real, live Germans. In real time.....without the luxury of being able to think about what I want to say, and then COMPOSE it -- ha ha ha! This was always my weakness - and other AFS'ers like Michelle-from-Texas :-) could just speak, speak, speak without a second thought.

OH! OH! OH! That reminds me! One more story.....

I actually sent Michelle a text message about this from Atlanta terminal, because there was a huge group of exchange students (in matching t-shirts) flying with us on our plane. It was a step backward into TIME. The only thing that was different between this group and my AFS group in the 80's, was that they were laughing and leaning into each other over cell phones and ipods, rather than laughing and leaning into each other over Walkmans. :-)

6 comments:

Kelly said...

Great to hear from you! I know those veggies and coffee made you happy and it looks like a nice, sunny day:). Good luck at the school - I look forward to more stories later! We are off to the free movies this morning.

Anonymous said...

I think the picture has more vegetables than I ate in the 3 months I was here solo.

It's great to be eating great food again rather than the stuff I was making (reheating) for myself.

Patty said...

OH MY...a Farmer's Market...What a WELCOME! I can't wait to hear your German school stories (to compare to my own Japan school stories, although there is NO comparison...you atleast speak the language) I'm so thrilled you have arrived safely and are starting your next adventure. I'm also thrilled that I can now MPS your boxes. WOOHOO that means I can actually spend MORE on what goes in the box, right?

Jason said...

Tanya,

We did pray for you a lot this week and I'm so glad to know that you have safely arrived. This morning Cassie had many questions about Germany. After looking at some maps, she decided that Germany really isn't that far away. You could have gone much further in her estimation.

I hope you are all settling into your new surroundings. How fabulous to have the farmers market so close! Jason and I have been drinking up the coffee that you gave us and I have made some wonderful meals with those sun-dried tomatoes.

(This says Jason but this is actually Julianne- real surprise there)

Kelly said...

Kathryn has been funny about playing with other friends since Eliza left. When I asked her yesterday if she wanted to invite someone over, she said "why would someone play with anyone else when her best friend is coming back?" I think she's still in denial and I tried to tell her that 2 years is a long time. One of these days, we'll have Cassie over, Julianne:)!

Anonymous said...

I almost cried at seeing this pic -wow! What great inspiration for all kinds of wonderful recipes. Those raspberries - ahhh! So happy for you to have a farmers' mkt like this - I know what a happy place this is for you. This is such fun stuff to get to see but perhaps at some point you could show us something that doesn't necessarily make one want to move to GE! I had heard it was nice and now I "get it". Love that you all are having such a pleasant landing. Enjoy, enjoy!