Saturday, July 26, 2008

The Tour



























Not THAT Tour ;-) .....

This was just for me. I signed myself up for a Walking Tour of Food and History in my town. Totally my thing. And I was not disappointed: not only did the Professor leading the tour dress in historical garb, but one of the group came ON HER OWN dressed in 14th century clothing, just for fun.

To write that I "stalked" her would be exaggerating. But, I did strategically place myself near her and her grandmother at the first restaurant stop. Not only did I learn about her costume, her various hand-made tools hanging from her belt and her interest in the Middle Ages..... but the restaurant served us each a glass of Prosecco.

I can now say that I don't mind an Ice Breaker when it comes in the form of a glass of sparkling wine ;-) .... I could have EASILY stood up and introduced my 14th Century friend to the room.

By the time we got to the second restaurant, I found that the only seat left was between the Professor and the 14th Century Maid. YES!!! YES!!

The discussion between these two was like candy for me. Tiny bits of arcane information -- I love this -- I love even more the devotion to one particular subject & the scholarship involved. In fact, I am slightly envious of people who have focused so completely in one area. I don't even try to hide my admiration. :-)

But, the best part was that the Professor's wife took me under her wing and guided me, encouraged me, coddled me, even; (which is the best Exchange Student Moment ever - I was a grateful recipient of this attention) -- she gave me flyers, inside information and dates of future offerings with the Friends of the Museum -- I think I want to go to Strassburg with their group this Fall. How can I go wrong?

There was a blind woman who went on the tour. She used her white cane all through the hilly, cobblestoned twists and turns; I was completely, totally impressed with her - that she would do all that just to hear the tour. Can't go wrong with a group of people like that. :-)

I suddenly feel like I've discovered a SECRET DOOR.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You had me at "Walking Tour of Food and History" Ohhhhhhhhh, the joy.
I'm thinking that every metropolis everywhere should have a tour just like that (in fact, maybe I could start the trend by putting one together for Hartford -- on your left Mark Twain's house, on your right Quizno's...) :)
Glad to hear that you've uncovered a secret door -- my only question: does that come with authentic period garb or do you have to hand-loom your own (which by the way I KNOW you're more than capable of doing!)?
Hi to all the Borcherts from all the Vines-Herbener's

Tanya said...

ha ha ha!

Now the Herbener Tour of Hartford is where I REALLY want to be...you should consider doing that. You remember how overseas it was the thrown together "gaijin tour" for people visiting? There is NO REASON you couldn't do that in Hartford. And it would have LAYERS of humor... which is worth flying in for.

The period costume is out of my league.....I'm a sideline girl ;-)