Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Letting The Tail Go With The Hide....

In the middle of ALL the tasks hanging over us before the movers arrive, I agreed to let Lars have one last sleepover here with three of his friends. It was a Star-Wars-Meets-Indiana-Jones themed sleepover, which he planned almost entirely himself.

I was COMPLETELY unprepared for how much self-sustaining energy this little party would end up having; in other words, the party I saw in my mind didn't resemble in any way the party which took place.


Overheard at the home of the mother who thought this would be an easy overnight...... :-)...just squeezed in, effortlessly, three days prior to packing out:


Mommy: Hey guys, please don't sword fight inside the house! (repeat 6 or 7 times)


Mommy: Eliza! Put your shirt back ON!
Eliza: But, Moooo-ooooom! The boys have their shirts off!


Mommy: (at midnight, to three boys) There, see? The news scroller says the storm is JUST thunder and lightning...with some heavy rain. No Tornadoes at all....I promise you're safe, here with me.

Mommy: (at 3 a.m.) You two HAVE to go to sleep now...

Two Wide-Awake Boys: We can't sleep!

Mommy: Pretend, then. Miss Tanya cannot stay awake even one moment longer...


Lars: (7:30 a.m.) Mom! Dalton's tooth came out last night! He put it under his pillow, but the Tooth Fairy didn't come. What should I tell him?

:-) In the morning, I gave them each a LARGE cinnamon roll, dripping with frosting. I figured by that point, I would just let the tail go with the hide. House is completely trashed, I am only a teaspoonful further than I was yesterday in move arrangements and Lars is very, VERY cranky....but, deep down I am thinking that it was probably worth it. I can promise you one thing, for sure: none of us is likely to forget it any time soon. ;-) ;-)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

About 10 pm I would have said "keep it quiet down there" and don't wake me up until 7! Love
Dad

Anonymous said...

Lars - What an awesome "farewell" party! A late night followed by your Mom's cinnamon rolls, mmmm, does it get any better???
-Mr Scott, Ms Trish and Adelaide