Monday, April 18, 2011

Nine Markets

good things for the cargo space


I ordered ten pots of mint from the Farmer's Market women and picked them up this week.   Along with my standard carrots, lettuce, and more free pansies.  :-)

Last week
Market WomenAre you SURE you want mint? 

Tanya:  Yes, that's right.  Mint!

Market Women:  Ten pots?  Really?

Tanya:  Yes, please.  Ten pots of mint.

Today, while she filled a box with my beautiful mint:


Market WomanI'm so curious - can you tell me why you want these? 

Tanya:  Ah, well.....our balcony is mostly shady; there's a little sun, but not much.  The heather I bought from you last Autumn needs to be switched out, and I thought this would make a nice spring refresher for the boxes.  Plus, lately, my husband really likes a drink called "mojito" .....and this way there will always be mint for him.

Market Woman:  [laughing since the part about mojitos]......I see, I see!  Shall I come with you to the car?  ;-)

****************************************
Back at home:

removing the plastic container through gravity

I had some help switching out my balcony boxes.  No need to carry the dead plants through the house and down the stairs, though.



From above, you can practice good aim by tossing the old plants into the compost bin below. 


Also from above, you can mix the pansies in with the mint.....


......which makes a happy springtime mix of green and lavender.  Which makes all of us happy.



Including the mojito maker :-) at our house.

5 comments:

Padden4 said...

Love it! Absolutely love ALL of it! You make life so much fun! Thank you for sharing your joy in everyday things!

NANA said...

Beautiful!! And what a good shot Eliza is!! (I'm not so sure all mine would have landed in the target area..ha) Can you believe what I JUST added to my mint collection? Mojito Mint! I've never seen it before so had to order 3 (very pricey) plants. I still have it indoors with the heirloom tom's and pepperocini I ordered (cold here). And I'm unsure just where to plant it. Is it a South American drink? So may need heat? (I've been stunned to learn some mint requires hot and dry...apple mint for example...just recently found that out and it's wildly happier "hot and dry") I'm used to thinking mint likes damp and shade. Hate to kill this and the garden center it was shipped from had zero info on it's requirements. Oh heck, I just remembered I may not see your reply if you do it here...help me remember when we talk, ok? Not sure when Papa will get our sick computers in to wherever he's taking them...ha..But then, he may be able to wiggle into your blog again...and/or I'll be at library..ha! Please list any tips?

NANA said...

That comment wasn't quite book lenght so will add more:) Actually, I'm realizing the mint you have there looks alot like spearmint (though, of course, it's hard to tell) If the drink can be made with spearmint, that is perhaps a clue...since spearmint is another variety I've learned prefers full sun (?!?!?!) (I learned that AFTER pampering it with a new big box bed...in partial shade) HA! I just tasted a leaf from the Mojito and it seems a bit like spearmint (I don't have refined taste buds tho..I can tell Chocolatemint, Pineapplemint, Peppermint and Limemint pretty well...but..I get fuzzy on knowing the others by taste. So everything's well segregated and well labeled..ha!)

Tanya said...

The plant markers said "Pfefferminz" and the women at the market confirmed at least twice that I wanted completely, normal mint.

Of course, they don't have a Nana with a MINT GARDEN :-) who has every kind known!!

Those colors of green + lavender are so pretty -- I feel happy every time I see them from the kitchen, or front of the house.

NANA said...

I hope I'm still going to be able to tap into whatever response Lars and Eliza had....going in order and may have goofed up here but will continue because I'm interested in your mint. Do you think you could possibly bring me, ship me, (?) some of your mint? It's possible it's a distinctly different variety (and...who am I? I'm "mint woman"...ha...I think I need this german "normal" mint...which very probably means it's a "wild" type adapted to there) (?)