***
One place severely in need of some editing was (is) the studio, with all the books, magazines, clippings and general flotsam & jetsam that I've felt necessary in enabling a creative life. My mega-organized friend actually shuddered when she saw my bookshelves. I'm not proud of that, but am putting it out there like a 12-step admission that I had things stuck in sideways and coming off the ends, etc., etc.
Organized Friend: You need to clip out the ideas you like and keep them in binders.
Tanya: I've already done that. I have seven binders....see them here? They're full.
Both of us: blink, blink.....Impasse.
However, I realized that my friend was right -- and that editing was the only answer. So, I did the unthinkable and went through the binders to see what could be weeded out (!!!) from inside.
Now, here's the thing about these binders:
Yes, they are pressing against the side of that bin to the point of breaking it -- and yes, they are full.
But, these binders are like a database -- a wonderfully tactile & non-technical database that holds every single good idea I have ever done or seen. The bottom line is that in all my years of moving chaos, I know that without fail, the instructions/ingredient lists/party ideas/details for ANYTHING I have ever successfully produced are inside. Safely and neatly INSIDE those white binders.
Messing with that was a big deal. I'm not kidding -- I actually had some anxiety symptoms over this. So, I coached myself into starting with what I felt would be the least threatening one.
After the initial "Easy A" of straightening up the first page, things got tougher....and there were six more binders waiting for me. Deciding what to keep/what to throw was much more draining than I realized. My whole creative confidence is wrapped up in this....
How do I choose between these after all?
I need the article on cardamom....
But, there were several I couldn't even remember why I'd had them in the first place:
I think this was about paint and wall treatments..??..but, am not sure. Straight into Paper Recyling.
This stack tempted me, but I had to stay firm, firm, FIRM with myself.
Now I have the binders neatly settled on the top shelf of a [formerly-bursting] IKEA shelf:
***And by the way.....the helpful woman who wrote those words up above about a project a day making you feel calm? So very much NOT my kind of woman. It absolutely hurts and feels completely horrible and wrong and painful to devote one week in this kind of work.
one of my 'amnesty' keeps.....the sketch is too good to throw out
Hmmmmm.
3 comments:
My heart aches for you...
I feel your pain, deeply. ;-)
Greg just joined Facebook and he was "talking" with Mr. Wevley and he said that you will be neighbors in the near future? So how does that fit with Danish?
Oh, they totally found our house for us. As in, COMPLETELY found our house. :-) I forgot that you know each other.....
A. and I start Danish almost right off the plane. But, because of the Wevleys, I have no worries about school districts, etc. They did all that research for us ;-) when they moved there. It is SUCH a relief, and a true, true blessing.
Anyway, I knew my de-stashing stress would resonate with you...it was very uncomfortable.
Your grama B and I apologize for giving you the "might need this" gene...ha! If it's any consolation, it seems to be getting easier for me to let go of stuff now that I'm older..(although you wouldn't know it to see this room I'm in now...ha) I'm proud of how well you choose from all the wonderful stuff you've come across in your travels.
Post a Comment