My dwindling months have become weeks. The "good sense" part of my head tells me that this year, I don't have time for potatoes. :-(
But how can I resist these loyal offspring from last summer's harvest?
Look at how they sprouted in the bottom of the potato sack over winter!
So, I have planted one last time in the black tub on the patio. Who cares about "good sense" anyway??
April 2, 2011
Just today, I've had the reward of seeing them push through the dirt. Welcome, little plants, welcome!
April 11, 2011
4 comments:
Maybe it has to do with your first potato crop up by your playhouse, huh? Potatoes are sooooo rewarding, no doubt about that. In Eliza's letter for March I told her about how I'd planted peas and potatoes...and how GG always loved what she called "creamed peas and new potatoes"...and maybe, God willing, we'd be able to have some when you come...(GG would like that) Just checked today and the peas are coming up bravely in this cold...and one little potatoe leaf has appeared. (Looking good)
You planted potatoes? That's great!! I'm also eager to see your garden -- and the kids will be much more interested this time than they've been before. They have their own little garden patch experiences now, so it will be fun for them to see your larger-scale garden.
Can you even eat potatoes? Or, did you plant those for us?
I can't believe I got through again...yesterday gave me hope..yahoo!!! In answer, no, I can't eat potatoes...I did plant them for "GG's creamed peas and new potatoes" for her great grands.
Also, I'm experimenting with those new five foot metal planters on west side of pointe. The oddball heirloom tomatoes (that I simply stuck in very late and gave so little care) did amazingly well, considering our cold summers lately. I'm thinking that even though I'd planned on them to fill up with wild, beach type roses (that give such fine rosehips)..there's space there for other stuff for number of years (5?)...and if they're useful for actual veggies I can always remove the wild roses..:) So peas in between and potatoes in one end of each and then various "cut and come again" crops in the other ends. Just all experimenting.
Well, I did type in "NANA"...:)...but....hmmm
Post a Comment