Sunday, September 5, 2010

Syrup for Lunch


Gran and Grandpa sent us some Birch Syrup from their trip to Alaska. 

This is just exactly my kind of thing....from birch trees, that is so interesting!!

It worked out well for the kids, because I wanted to try it out as soon as possible.  Alistair and Ian were off on a weekend with the Scouts, but we saved a little for them to taste.   It's very good -- tastes a little bit like molasses. 

Syrup for lunch -- with pancakes to soak it up, garnished with bacon....  :-)

2 comments:

NANA said...

That's so interesting! (Wonder if that scraggey set of trees we have...from where your dad shook out his sleeping bag after trips north...ha...would give us syrup?) Actually, the sap sure runs down with the tinest branch cut off. Maybe? Wow. Charlie and Carol are due here for lunch any minute...I'll ask them what they know about Birch Syrup.

Tanya said...

YES -- please DO ask Charlie and Carol about this!! It's interesting to me about the Birch Syrup, and I was sorry to not catch Dad to ask him before he headed up north. Hope you are having a nice time together. Will call another day, so I don't interrupt. xoxoxoxo