I wait eagerly all year for this season, and it snuck up on me this time. ME?!? I love Autumn, too -- how is it that I didn't notice the subtle changes that turned the trees out front into this?
Which made me notice, then, the other leaves all around me along my way to the Farmer's Market this morning......
....where there were even better and more colorful things to see. I want to take photos every single time that I am there, but it -sort of- makes the Market Women nervous. One of them has asked me specifically to not photograph her, and another one laughed this morning in an embarrassed way to another customer saying,
"....this is our American, who likes to take photographs of the produce...."
In her case, I'm pretty sure it was a shy-&-secretly-thrilled feeling behind her modest words, because she gave me an extra lettuce today. ;-)
Still I try to only push the limits of diplomacy once or twice a year. Those are shiitake mushrooms there on the left.....next to the wooden baskets of chanterelles, who visually call out: you must buy me!! ;-)
Today was definitely a "once or twice a year" day. Is that not an impossible shade of pink-red on those radishes? The Market Woman is kindly selecting tomatoes for me in the background.
Here is a German Still Life that was just BEGGING some attention:
Three different kinds of cabbage in one go -- "flat cabbage" and "pointed cabbage" and the ever-humble, plain, round cabbage in the background....still wrapped up, as though admitting that her two glamorous sisters in front would inevitably steal the show. If my basket had not already been overflowing, I would have bought one of all three, just because.
This broccoli is on the menu for tonight....
There is no shortage at a German Market when it comes to cruciferous choices:
I love this one -- it's called "Wirsing" in German, and I'm sure we must have this at home somewhere, but what appeals to me most is how very popular it is here. There is such an interesting discussion surrounding food -- and how common foods in one country define our eating rhythm. Kid Food, for example, is NOT international. ;-)
Last but not least --
-- the lovely and beautiful Erika has made her Autumn Debut at the Market.
Good timing, too. My little pots of greens are wrapping up their growing season, and soon the white window boxes can be filled again with friendly Heather.
:-)
1 comment:
My goodness...you do this so well, my dear. It's always like a tiny visit (and a wonderful visit)
Post a Comment