Saturday, September 18, 2010

Gridiron


Ian has started his first year of High School,  and has landed squarely in the middle of football

He's never really shown much of an interest in football, to be honest.  But, apparently, he was enthusiastically encouraged by classmates to start coming to practice and try out for the team.

Just for some perspective....I have never thought of Alistair as petite.

The coaches have also been very supportive of Ian -- at nearly 6'3" and 250 pounds, they switch him from Offense Line to Defensive Line frequently, and have patiently taught him how to block with efficiency.

I have no idea if this is the 'right' photo or not.  Ian was explaining how you have to get low
so that you get underneath the other players armor pads.   Or something.

He told me his coaches were almost giddy the day he simultaneously blocked two other players -- one arm for each.  You know, to be fair, the average 9th grader is probably smaller than Ian.....

I wouldn't want to see this running at me.

His first game is this weekend, and he's got his jersey on today at school.  Pep Rally tonight.  Bus leaves at Zero-Dark-Whatever tomorrow morning.  He's excited.  :-)

3 comments:

Melissa said...

lol Sounds like the coaches are counting their wins already! I would be scared to have a 6'3" guy come running at me!

NANA said...

How did this happen? I remember when I picked him up one time out on the pointe (seagrass was too tall for him)and he felt filled with lead and I thought "Hmmm...he will be a very, very big guy"...but...so soon???? Gee whiz!
I have to admit I, also, did laugh out loud at this blog post. And he really does look great...and we are, indeed, so proud of him...(still though, how'd this happen so soon???? ha!)

Padden4 said...

Awesome! As someone who managed both her high school and college football teams, I love it. For perspective (and to illustrate why my children are soccer players...) my 14 year old is psyched because he just past me at 5'2" and he is ALMOST 100lbs!

How exciting for Ian. Tell him good luck from all of us!