Thursday, August 13, 2009

Everyone Loves Parsley






I didn't realize how popular parsley is with insects. You cannot even IMAGINE the number of bees (and even flies!) swirling around these tiny blooms. Hello Mr. Ant...you wretched little thing, you. Come to survey the parsley as a possible site for some aphid-farming?

Speaking of ants, they even got into my potato tub! Which confused me, since it was technically my dirt to begin with. I didn't know ants could set up a colony so quickly.

Anyway, back to the parsley. It was a volunteer left over from last year's plant, and a sort of "garden surprise" this spring. I really like how the blooms look like Queen Anne's Lace, but I couldn't bring myself to pick any, since it all got so interesting once the plant went to seed. SWARMS of bees -- & with the flashy nasturtiums and generous zucchini blooms right there to choose from !!!

Parsley is not so plain-jane, after all. :-)


3 comments:

hrhejc said...

We had a RAT die in the Parsley pot. YUCK. YUCK. YUCK. MSB dumped it all in the trash. I lost the rosemary to extreme heat. I've still got mint (2nd summer), thyme and oregano in pots. The biggest success is my chives - on their 6th summer and due for bigger pot again.

Tanya said...

A RAT???? That is much worse than my pesky ants. What a great guy -- not only can he remove a rat, he can make pickles like a pro. I am still really impressed by that, by the way!!!

How did the mint survive through the heat? Do you just keep it under a dripping faucet in the shade? I was thinking of trying mint in my window boxes in the front, (which are regrettably still empty.)

Hey - I disagree, incidentally, that your biggest success has been the container of chives :-)and I have such a w o n d e r f u l box prepared for her Autumn Closet that I wish I could wear it. But they don't fit me. :-)

Tanya said...

Wear THEM. Wear THEM, that is.

I was on the phone when I typed that. Shame on me. ;-)