Saturday, March 21, 2009

A Room Of My Own





I have my own little room at the top of the house.....and I really, REALLY appreciate it, too. More than once, Alistair has come upstairs to share with me how he would have outfitted it for himself. It was, in fact, a narrow victory for me in holding on to this Dachzimmer. :-)

There is a journal called "Where Women Create", and it is published by Somerset Studio. Normally, that is exactly the kind of thing I would LEAP upon with a pre-order, slapping my money down for each and every issue. It just depressed me, though, to see the ads for it this year....because the room here set aside for ME was such a mess, with paths going through the massive amounts of chaos stacked inside. :-(

So, I cleaned it up.

It's not nearly finished.....but, I've made a lot of progress. Taking note of my lesson-learned with "Simple Changes" : things had to be moved, and moved again to make it all work together. It was hard for me to switch things around in my head, from how I'd sewn or wrapped a present in the last house. It appears my head is less able to adapt to change with my increasing age....

In my defense, I can officially report that when one gets a whole ROOM of her own, several other items find their way into that room: Christmas decorations, empty bins, mailing boxes, things no one knows where to put.....and CHILDREN have found their way into that room. If Ian needs to sew on a Boy Scout badge, he uses my table. Eliza has been using a corner since DAY ONE of the move, with a children's desk overflowing with papers, stickers, scissors, paints (!).....

I don't mind sharing it. In fact, I'm glad it's attractive to them when they feel creative. But, I want it to be attractive to ME .....of course.....because it is MY room, after all. ;-)



Bolstered by my progess, I went ahead and took a peek at "Where Women Create"

http://www.stampington.com/html/woman_create_spring_09.html

I wish my space could look like the one with all the pale blue, green and white....actually, while I'm at it, I suppose I wish that I could just look like HER, as well.

ha ha ha! :-)




3 comments:

Mobileholmes said...

I am SO happy for you....I'd love to look again, since I saw the "old" room

Robyn Woodson said...

I am soooo jealous! First - you have a whole room!, Second - it is sooo tidy!!!! And Ian sews his own boy scout badges on???? What gives?? Can he talk to both James & Tyree..... PLEASE!

Tanya said...

Let me make one thing very clear: that photo captured the only tidiness. I'll publicly share the other parts when they are ALSO tidy. ha ha ha! :-)

Ian likes the independence of sewing his own uniform things....Ian likes independence all around, in fact. But, the badge sewing is one thing that has worked out well for me. But, if I lived in your house, I'd probably just ask you to do it, as well, since you are such an excellent hand with the needle....you can't blame them, Robyn. :-)