In February I went to visit Birte and her family in Hamburg. :-)
I took the train, just like the "old days" -- although trains have modernized and changed from what I remember. There was a LED read-out above my seat with my reservation to & from cities listed. Not in the compartment "cabin" of my memory, but more like an airplane. Still, the five hours of solo-travel were BLISS. All I had to do was knit, read, knit some more.
What a wonderful weekend for me with Birte's family, meeting her sons -- they sweetly opened up their home and world and swept me inside. Now, THAT was just like the "old days" :-).....
Let me sketch a few points together in outlining how I came away from Hamburg:
- I have a new person to shamelessly copy. Shamelessly.
- Hamburg is all a person needs to rediscover a love for the North. :-)
- Her two boys are all a person needs to rediscover the wonder of SONS. Boys are so great.
- White is the happiest color ;-) in the world. Just LOOK at that....
- This amazing and uber-cool apartment, in one of the trendiest parts of Hamburg -- with all the benefits that come alongside that -- inside a turn-of-the-century building with all the crown molding and decorative elements....is directly over a Tapas Bar. No kidding. :-) I wanted to laugh out loud.
:-) Isn't it pretty?
Alistair and the kids had a big-fun Dad Weekend here at home: they not only went to Brunch Sunday at Church, (with a platter of Toll House Cookies ;-)), but they went skiing on BOTH Saturday and Sunday. Cross-country, of course. Dinner at McDonalds, of course.
You know, it was a nice weekend for all of us. :-)
6 comments:
I can just see you looking at all the white and being in heaven!!!! Did you get to eat Tapas???
Why Mrs. Holmes! :-)
Yes...you know I like those pale colors. Everything washed in a layer of white makes me feel happy. But, there is plenty of wild and colorful exuberance in the north, as well. I think you would like the north. Although, now that I think about it, your leanings tend toward the Latin in almost every respect....
Hey! When are we going to knit? Want to make the 7th Fleet Mobius Scarf? ;-) Tapas lend themselves perfectly to a knitting party.
oh!oh! Birte and I went to Gudrun Sjoeden -- and it was one of the REAL "concept" stores...not just the outlet of my past. :-) Very, very colorful spring line-up -- I hope you've gotten your catalog.
Tanya, you're such a great photographer! I saw the pictures nd thought to myself: Hey, I would like to live in that place. Then I realized it was ours :-)
And for all the others who read this: It wasn't us who made that weekend so wonderfull to remember, it was Tanya. My big sister for a year and ever since and role model in every way!
Thank you so, so much for comming.
Birte
Hey ! I JUST FOUND your sweet comment, Birte! :-) There is no way I'm going to accept that you four are not the nicer component of our five-some...believe what you like, but I know deep down that your goodness washes away all of my ugly tendencies.
Just writing that makes me miss those boys so much.... :-( I wish I could live next door.
xoxoxoxo
PS: I think my pictures don't even come close to the truly, truly beautiful environment you four have made for a home. :-) It is a slice of heaven where you live....
....I just love you!
Birte
..and I just love you, too. :-)
xoxoxoxo
Post a Comment